1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs via CV

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by argemone_rose, Jan 19, 2019.

1. argemone_rose

argemone_rose New commenter

Good evening,

I have a job about etiquette really.

I have been teaching for around 10 years now and currently have two middle leadership roles, one pastoral based and one curriculum.

I’m looking to move across the country as where I live is hugely expensive and not really worth it. I also have family where I am looking to move to. With that in mind, I was wondering if it would be okay to just send my CV to schools that I am interested in working in. I also teach a high-demand subject.

Is this something that is “done”? Or should I just wait for schools to advertise?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Safer recruiting guidelines will prevent a school appointing you with just a CV. You could contact these schools and ask to be notified of any vacancies that come up or even just ask where they advertise.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I have known a number of schools who have appointed from contacts made in this way-its cheaper than advertising you have nothing to lose by trying. Do tailor the letter/email to suit the school however and schedule it for after half term when jobs begin to be advertised-Good hunting

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Go for it. I have known people to pave their way to jobs by sending a c.v. to possible schools. Make sure you send your c.v. to a named individual as schools may receive quite a number of speculative letters and if it’s not clear who it’s for it could end up in the bin. I’d also recommend sending a hard copy - I think there’s a higher chance of someone actually flicking through it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. All the best!