1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs - looking at syllabus?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by zimon, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm currently on a GTP course, and at this stage, am keeping an eye out for possible jobs....

I've just noticed one that is close to where I live, and is a great school. I downloaded all the info, and have been looking more into it.
    I'm a physical geographer by trade (I see human geography as a necessary evil), and noticed that this school follows a very human-based GCSE spec.
    I think this puts me off. I don't particularly enjoy teaching human geography, and I've just downloaded the GCSE spec from the exam board - all but 2 sub-topics are human geography!
    This is the first job I've thought of applying for - is this a REAL reason to be put off/not apply for it? It's only January, with the new E-Bac, will more geography jobs be available this year? Or should I apply for what I can when I can and shut up/put up?

thanks for any advice!

2. Hi
    I'm currently on a GTP course, and at this stage, am keeping an eye out for possible jobs....

I've just noticed one that is close to where I live, and is a great school. I downloaded all the info, and have been looking more into it.
    I'm a physical geographer by trade (I see human geography as a necessary evil), and noticed that this school follows a very human-based GCSE spec.
    I think this puts me off. I don't particularly enjoy teaching human geography, and I've just downloaded the GCSE spec from the exam board - all but 2 sub-topics are human geography!
    This is the first job I've thought of applying for - is this a REAL reason to be put off/not apply for it? It's only January, with the new E-Bac, will more geography jobs be available this year? Or should I apply for what I can when I can and shut up/put up?

thanks for any advice!

3. Make sure that you're reading the spec carefully. I know that the AQA A spec has lots of topics to choose from, but you select from them to teach 3 physical and 3 human, so it may be that the spec just gives more choices for the human aspect than the physical but that the teaching would be more balanced.
    Going by how difficult it was to find a job last year though, I wouldn't be too choosy! (says she who is in the process of not being choosy this year after not getting a permanent job last year)

4. It's OCR -B
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gcse/hss/geog_b/index.html

I looked again, and it still looks VERY human..... ugh

5. Geography B covers four themes of Geography:
    • Rivers and coasts
    • Population and settlement
    • Natural hazards
    • Economic development
    That lookslike half human/half physical to me, which is what I would expect from any specification.

6. sorry, my bad, it's OCR spec A
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gcse/hss/geog_a/index.html

7. Looks like my idea of heaven as specs go ;-) I still wouldn't not apply if it wasn't though.