1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs in religious schools .

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by picsgirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I've been looking for a TA job in my area. Last week a couple were advertised for religious schools - Catholic and Church of Wales.
    Both have statements such as ' practicing Chistian prefered', 'Able to support and promote the Catholic ethos', etc.
    I'm an atheiest and dismissed applying for these, due to lack on religious knowledge, I work in a multi cultural school at the moment, so a variety of religions doesn't bother me.
    Do any of you work in a church school but do not attend church?
    Do you think staff at a church school should be religious?

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi
    Some of the staff in our school do not attend church. However it is preferred that you do. You could show an interest by reading about the faith. When/if you go for an interview at least it will show that you are prepared to learn about their faith for the sake of the children. I would still apply and display that you would promote the Catholic Ethos. They are usually voluntary run with the support of the church, so it is important that you acknowledge their existance.

3. I have previously worked in a catholic school and was surprised to find that half the teachers were not catholic. When I was interviewed I was asked how I felt about working in a catholic school - I was honest and said I was not a catholic but respected everyones religion. I did however feel that it was a bit heavy with the RE lessons - they are a core subject so taught for approx 2 hrs per week. There were also termly whole school masses, long assemblies etc. I was never made to feel uncomfortable but especially during the masses, which we all went to, I felt a bit out of place. I wouldn't dismiss the jobs, I would however go for a visit and see how you feel.

4. I'm an atheist working in a C of E school. We visit the local church once a term and the vicar comes in to lead assemblies now and then. A Christian girl band performed at school once, during an assembly, a couple of years ago and the children loved it but I don't think they got the message the band were trying to convey, they seemed more impressed that a "real" pop band were in school! I don't think many of the staff are churchgoers. I guess it depends on the school.

5. Oh, and on the current job advert for 2 teachers, the school doesn't even mention that it is C of E!

6. I think staff working in a church school should be religious - you are supporting a school ethos and that is why normally you would be a practising catholic as a staff member at a Catholic school (some schools ask for a supporting statement from your local priest) You will be expected to attend church with the children and lead prayers. There may also be a priest on the interviewing board.

Of course apply for the job but perhaps saying you are an atheist may not help your application.......