1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs after a break (less than 1 year)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Mar 28, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

80 applicants is not unusual these days. The Internet means that more and more teachers are using "the shotgun method", sending out applications to any and every job vacancy that pops up.
    My story about the much sought after Chemistry teacher was not ancient history, as it was based on a conversation I had less than nine months ago.

2. If that's the case I need to find this database your ex-colleague was on where heads around the world could find him/her on to contact her with such attractive offers.

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

My recent experience as a maths teacher is similar, I registered with Search andI had more than 10 schools contact me in the first week. Many of the schools were in the "bargepole" catagory or the counties were not what I wanted.

It allowed me to go to a job fair with a confirmed offer and then negotiate a very good package in the ME.

There is still a shortage of Chem and Physices teachers, I was offered several Physics jobs, but I find teaching Physics to be boring.

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

David

You can never tell which boxes the school want ticked. I do not have an MA and was told by one school that they were only considering applicants with MAs.

You have said in the past that you do not tend to stay in a post for very long, maybe that is what is putting them off.

5. Two years before the only very recently mentioned cancer and four years before the supposed heart attack. When was the train crash? When are you going to get leprosy?
    Do you change your clothes rapidly in a phone box when called upon?

6. I love teaching Physics but maybe it's because I love teaching. I came to this profession late in life after being a 'waste of space' for most of it. It's the best and most enjoyable job I've ever had.
    I agree that sometimes the subject can be both boring to teach and to learn but I still love doing it.
    I find that during cover lessons, I still try to teach even if it's not my subject. I try to convince the kids that I am interested even when I'm not and the kids always respond positively to that.
    Maybe I'm being naive because this is only my 5th year of teaching but I believe that anyone who does not try his/her best to deliver the subject he is being paid to teach to the best of his/her ability, should get out of the business.
    Btw the thought of teaching English frightens me a bit, it looks so difficult to do - I'll stick with Physics and the other sciences.
    I often wander around the school looking into other peoples lessons (including PE) just to see what others are doing and I am always struck with the thought that I couldn't do what they are doing. I think teachers of all subjects deserve respect for their unique set of skills.

With the exception of ICT of course [​IMG]

7. VFF!
    Oh, sorry for calling you a wanker the other day, by the way.
    Nice of munchausen to leap to your defence, I thought...quite sweet.
    He is currently suffering from typhoid, chicken pox and Gonorrhea (I believe that one; given his age and where he lives, no surprise there...).

8. It's true, I make the odd spelling error so I've decided to practise spelling.
    I've just discovered that if you rearrange the letters of 'shower checker', you can obtain
    'wheres her ***'
    Ain't English amazin'?

9. Oh for pities sake, they starred out the last word (a male bird).

10. I hope you are not implying that our 'illing' friend in boygirl paradise is into that sort of thing!
    Ooh, that makes me feel ill...

11. You can make the word 'libel' out of the word Bibbler...if you leave out a couple of letters. And add an 'l'... And bible - not a fan of the old cross-crotching are Matthew, Mark and the other chaps (all bloody liars as well..).
    I PM'd the bibble and he sent me the blog about his heart attack, which he said was proof he'd had one! Rubber stamp that beauty.
    And he refused my 'add as a friend' request. Not very nice, eh? At least one of us is making the effort.
    More gin.

12. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Ape Fa Horny Ho

Foamy

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

What?

14. Oh dear. Having worn out the, dare I say it, shower checker gag, he has moved onto something else.
    Not a comedian this winner, is he? [​IMG]
    Bless.