1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for job as a LSA advice please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freckles88, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I am applying for a job as a LSA supporting a special needs child in a mainstream school. I trained as a teacher for 4 years but failed my last placement. I have since decided that I am going to defer from my course and accept a primary education studies degree and work as a TA for a few years, gain some experience and confidence and then maybe go back into teaching in the future if I feel I can handle the pressure. Basically, my main reasons for wanting to give up teaching are that I love being with the children and helping them to learn new things and progree, but the workload that goes with it is just too much for me. When I was on placement I was working 90+ hours a week, stressed to the max and suffered from high blood pressure and migraines throughout and I realised this is not the life I want for myself. I am now applying for a LSA job in a school, but I am wondering if I should mention that I trained as a teacher or if that would go against me? The school are asking for experience of working in school and of SEN experience which I have in abundance from school placements and placements in an SEN school. However, I am worried that if I tell the school that I dropped out of a teaching degree they will judge me for it and ask questions why. I worry they will think that I can't work under presure or that I am a dropout and can't work hard, which is not the case at all, I just realised that I wanted a job where I would be working with the kids to move them on, rather than a job where paperwork and marking becomes 70% of the job!
    What would you reccommend? I'd like them to know I trained as a teacher as I think my experience would work in my favour, but how can I justify leaving my course?

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I'd just be honest and explain that whilst you loved many aspects of teaching and would be committed as a TA/LSA to give your all whilst in school, you felt that the work life balance as a TA would suit you better. No shame in doing what makes you happy and I would hope an interviewer would recognise this. I'd take in my best references from teaching practices with a portfolio for interview to show that you proved yoursself to have many good skills you could use as a TA.
    Good luck, hope it works out for you x.