1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for international schools second year of teaching

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jad518nexus, Aug 22, 2015.

1. jad518nexus

jad518nexus New commenter

Hi

I am currently about to start my second year (exc. PGCE) of teaching Mathematics. I have been interested in applying to international schools and wanted to ask if it is possible to apply in my second year. Many applications state that two years is the minimum, and I would technically have this when I started at an international school next year. I have travelled to China and Japan a fair few times, so would look to apply to schools in Asia.

Just a quick question I wanted to ask. Any other help or views from those working in international schools would be good too.

Thanks.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

All depends on the individual and what options you get offered.

Personally I'd get some more years in the UK and in a different school if possible; better in the long run for you. People will tell you that their school is supportive of NQT's but in the grand scheme of things there are more schools that will leave you adrift and expect you to manage yourself and classroom with little support and resources.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, what happygreenfrog says has a lot of truth in it, alas. I certainly came across plenty of ghastly schools in the ME. Some schools seem to make a point of employing them.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Many job advertisements state that they are looking for "an outstanding classroom practitioner". This doesn't mean you can't apply if you are just "good". You are more likely to be offered the job if you are "outstanding", but if you have other qualities that they like, you may be in luck. Same applies here. The more experience you have, the more attractive you will seem, but you may have other skills that stand out to them and get you an interview or job offer. Good luck!

5. the hippo

Yes, well, Kartoshka, it does not do to believe everything that one reads in a TES job advert. Some of the adverts handed out by agencies are pretty dodgy.

If the vacancy happens at an unusual and awkward time for the school, then the most important factor may be your availability.

6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Decent maths A-level teachers aren't easy to find. I suspect you'll find some schools are willing to settle for less than two years experience - and maybe even some good or very good schools at that.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I was thinking of the type of job adverts the OP will have seen in the UK while applying for his/her current job, written by schools (not agencies).

8. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Pretty spot on is that.

I've secured a couple of decent posts myself having finished an overseas contract and been relaxing back in the UK. Rare to find an experienced and available teacher at short notice and one almost walks into the position.

I've secured another post because my speculative CV was lying on the headteachers desk in a country I'd targeted, yet one a little less desirable by most others and with few applicants.

Have also had a head teacher in Japan, which was my number one targeted destination, falling over himself about my application . . . until better quality came along and I never heard from him again.

Recruitment is all quite logical.

9. the hippo

My favourite recruitment story concerns a Chemistry teacher. (I heard this one from the horse's mouth, so to speak, while doing my stint in the UAE.)

The aforementioned Chemistry teacher quits because the school cannot be bothered with the expense of a proper fume cupboard and within a few hours he gets no less than four totally unsolicited job offers, including one in South America where the principal promises to "fix him up" with a certain local lady whose charms are obvious to all. That is not something SERARCH usually mentions at their jobfairs!

10. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

They don't mean 'outstanding' as in the Ofsted standard, they mean it as a general term. Therefore there's no real quantifiable difference between outstanding and good.

There is however a quantifiable difference between 1 year and 2. If they ask for 2 years minimum then I'd expect that's that they want although it couldn't hurt to apply and state why you think you're good enough despite not having the required experience.

I know people who have done one year post-NQT and worked in good international schools. However I'm sure there are far more that have ended up in hell holes.

11. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

yeah I got into a school because of this and my current school was from a cv I speculatively sent to the school a year earlier which I had written off, so never say never.

I have been teaching for 5 years and 4 of those years has been in international schools.