1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tmahmoud, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I would like to apply for an independent school vacancy I have seen advertised. The application asks for a CV and covering letter and nothing else. Not quite sure exactly what information I should include? Any help would be appreciated. I am currently an NQT in a maintained school.

2. v12

v12

The letter should be formal and on one side of A4. It should say why you think you are the best person for the advertised position and detail some of your best attributes, including hobbies and interests - and especially sports/music played to any degree of proficiency
    As an example, the letter of application that I have just sent to three schools is written in Calibri 12pt and is 320 words including the address.
    The CV should cover your working life to the present day - including school and university.
    There should be NO gaps in the dates. If you have taken a three-month holiday - detail it!
    My CV is three pages long - but there again, I have been working for nearly forty years. The most recent position should be first, the most distant, last.
    Get someone else to check for typos and spelling errors, and try to make it interesting to read.

By the way, all three applications were to independent schools, and all three have taken references and invited me for interview!

Good luck!