1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Independent education.......

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by whitleyjen, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am student teacher applying for my first post. A job has come up at a private school near me that I am very excited about as it looks like it would be a really good place to work, and an excellent place to be an NQT in particular.
    On the letter that came with the application it says that the school are looking for a person who "believes in Indepedent education", which I've taken to mean private education given the school and not children working independently (also because of the capital I used!)
    I have two questions - have I got this right, is this what they mean and if so, how on earth do I show on my CV or letter of application that I "believe in Independent education"?! I was educated in a state comprehensive and with this being my first job have obviously never worked in a private school, and so this really has me stumped!
    Any advice please?!

2. Hello,
    I am student teacher applying for my first post. A job has come up at a private school near me that I am very excited about as it looks like it would be a really good place to work, and an excellent place to be an NQT in particular.
    On the letter that came with the application it says that the school are looking for a person who "believes in Indepedent education", which I've taken to mean private education given the school and not children working independently (also because of the capital I used!)
    I have two questions - have I got this right, is this what they mean and if so, how on earth do I show on my CV or letter of application that I "believe in Independent education"?! I was educated in a state comprehensive and with this being my first job have obviously never worked in a private school, and so this really has me stumped!
    Any advice please?!

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I think it may be another way of saying someone who will be prepared to do what is usually associated with private schools - ie, get involved in lots of co-curricular, help out with boarding if necessary, etc.

If you do think it would be a really good place to work, then hopefully your enthusiasm will come across in your application. Just tailor it to the school as you would with any application. Mention any co-curricular things you'd like to do, and so on. Show them that you have a lot to offer both in and out of the classroom.

I'm not sure it would be helpful for you to explicitly state your commitment to "independent education". That just sounds like you're regurgitating the person spec with no thought. It wouldn't help to mention the clichés (true they may often be) about private schools - "I am particularly attracted by the smaller class sizes and higher ability pupils" - well, who wouldn't be? [​IMG] It would look more impressive, however, to rework this into demonstrating your commitment to, for example, increasing your experience in pastoral care (which is easier if you've got a form of 18 rather than 30) and getting involved in tuition for Oxbridge students (which would be a big thing in an academic school).

4. That's great thanks, I have been involved in pastoral care on both placements so I'll try to put that spin on it! I haven't had the opportunity to tutor Oxbridge students, but have tutored individual students in general so I'll make sure I include that as well. I'm really trying to avoid cliches, as well as saying that I'd want to work in independent education as a music teacher because they have better resources!
    Thanks for those points though, I'll make sure I add them :)

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think that's likely (though Independents that offer Induction - as most do - won't expect you to do as much as more experienced staff).
    It's also possible that they're sick of getting applicants who don't actually realise the school isn't a state school and who are dyed-in-the-wool advocates of comprehensive state education and so are just a waste of time at interview as they'd never accept the post if offered anyway!