1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Ind. School Job Questions

Discussion in 'Independent' started by quidditch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently applying to work at a local independent school.
    Does anyone know what the pay is in comparison to Borough Schools? I am currently on UPS 1 + SEN 1 and dont mind losing the SEN point but to be honest don't want too much of a cut!
    Thanks in advance.

2. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently applying to work at a local independent school.
    Does anyone know what the pay is in comparison to Borough Schools? I am currently on UPS 1 + SEN 1 and dont mind losing the SEN point but to be honest don't want too much of a cut!
    Thanks in advance.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Pay in independent schools varies widely - it's one of the reasons why they're called independent. The only way to find out is from the school concerned. Normally, the school's pay scales are given in the job information pack. If they have not been, be a tad suspicious and make sure you ask the bursar or head before going further.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look inside the Welcome thread at the top of the forum - there are information clickables there.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Thanks its a pretty well known ind. school in London, so hoping the pay at least matches MPS!
    Fingers crossed....

6. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Thankyou, its a top top school (i expect a lot will be applying). The website states that they pay a generous salary ! I myself was privately educated so that doesn't scare me one bit! I also have the inside scoop on what they expect from their students, as my other half went to this school!!

I am fighting my cover letter, as I am pretty sure it should be 2 pages (got that) but my experience is so varied, and I am struggling to get why I want to move into a HoYear position..... Also trying to make EAL and SEN experience fit into a school that probably accepts neither!

Also would it be wrong to use the same cover letter for a teaching position in the same establishment.

Panicing for no reason I am sure :D

7. Independent schools have SEN & EAL pupils.
    SEN statements are given 'relative' to peers & often only allow the pupil an extra 25%of exam time and / or use of a laptop in lessons or written papers. Rarely (never in my small experience) a TA in a lesson. It may be true to say that SEN pupils in the state sector have a greater range of problems & a larger need for academic support than those in the mainstream independent sector.
    EAL occurs through the parents being posted or moving to work in the UK or, in London, when a child moves from the German, Swedish or French school to your school. Not only do pupils have the EAL problem, they will also have the curriculum & cultural problem. London independent schools sometimes also get Korean EAL pupils who are sent to live with 'Guardians' or distant relatives. Parents' evenings can be tricky - you need to know who is sitting in front of you & their relationship with the pupil.

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

If it has a boarding department then there's a high chance that many of the boarders will be EAL.

In my region, quite a lot of independent schools have a contingent of EAL students, boarding or not. From the comments of colleagues at NQT sessions last year, it also seems that few of the schools have any decent strategies for them. The only thing our SMT have done to address the EAL problems is to change admission policy so that new EAL boarders are only admitted at 11+ rather than 13+. Otherwise, the expectation regarding English is that "they just pick it up"!

I think, then, that your EAL experience would definitely help your application, and if the school is anything like ours you'd be in high demand very quickly!

9. Absolute nonsense!

There are as many different approaches and profiles as there are independent schools. Many of the pupils at my own school have extra one to one assistance both within and outside lessons. To say that state sector pupils have a greater range of problems is patently absurd. We have plenty of Year 9 pupils who can hardly write their own name or converse in English. We are not academically selective and all of these students are supported as necessary.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush, it's unfair and inaccurate.

H

10. To add my tuppenyworth re SEN and EAL pupils: I agree that, once again, this will be different for different schools, so the best advice is to find out the situation in the particular school you are applying to.
    In my (selective) school, we have the same proportion of dyslexic pupils as in the general population, although more of them tend to be at the high-achieving end, and of course we don't have those whose general underlying ability is well below average. We also have a fair smattering of other SpLDs, such as dyspraxia and dyscalculia, plus a few AD(H)D and Asperger's. Plus a couple of pupils with SEN Statements from the LEA who are supported by TAs. We don't 'only' allow extra time or use of laptops - we follow the prescribed access arrangements as decreed by the JCQ, so our pupils may have the aforementioned arrangements, but may also or instead, have rest breaks in exams, scribes or readers, coloured paper etc etc ... same as any state school, according to need and backed up with evidence.
    We also have a smattering of EAL pupils - mainly Asian pupils coming for the sixth form. My SEN role has been extended to cover provision for these pupils, which has grown in recent years as the numbers of EAL students have increased. So someone applying to a school with SEN and EAL experience may well be welcomed as having useful skills for the future - bearing in mind schools increasingly needing to look to foreign pupils to fill places (as I read in yesterday's Times).

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Indeed so. The schools in which I worked were, I guess, at the opposite end of the spectrum and, instead of offering any individual assistance (or, indeed, any assistance at all) would have a quiet word with the parents to advise them that while we could not help, there were independent schools in the area that were much better equipped to help with their children's needs.
    Things have changed a little in recent years - Eton, for instance, has a large facility ("The Learning Centre") for SEN pupils, who account for 4% of their intake. But it is basically dyslexia and dyspraxia, rather than anything more serious, and schools that are more academic than Eton may offer less, although they tend to do what they can.