1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Housemaster job

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Sebbenn, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Sebbenn

Sebbenn New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I hope you're all well.
    I am applying for a Housemaster/teaching role for September. I used to run a boarding house, but it was years ago. Could anyone give me some tips or pointers for my letter of application, and also where to look for the most up to date information about boarding rules and regs?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

3. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Golly, yes, you'll need to be totally on the ball re: Rules, Regs and Recommendations! And CP and safeguarding, too!

But all that will be for the interview. What you need to do now is write an effective application, showing that you fit their person specification, and can carry out efficiently their job description.

So, for meeting their person specification and job description, and preparing that great application that showcases your skills, go to the TES Resources, where I've put up a free template for an Executive Summary, to save you having to faf around with the formatting. I explain there how to use it, I'll just say a bit more now.

In the LH column you put what the school is looking for, taken from their person specification, etc. You'll have to prioritise, select the main things, condense it a little, of course. Then in the RH column you put in neat note form exactly how you meet their requirements. Simple as that!

So that would be your starting point for an effective application. I suggest that you have a look on Amazon for a book to download straight away to the free Kindle app on your phone, tablet or laptop, that will give you more tips and help with application writing after such a long gap.

Search on Amazon for books called "Applying for a teaching job" or similar, there will be quite a few books to consider. Choose one that is not American (you're not applying for a job in Los Angeles!), and have a look at the reviews to select one that seems to be helpful.

Perhaps you've got out of the habit of applications, and I bet also that like a well-brought-up Britisher, you are slightly uncomfortable about blowing your own trumpet. :) But in a subtle way, that's what you need to do! You need to define what are your USPs - your unique selling points - what's so special about you that you can "sell" to the school. Because it is a selling job, you know! But I'm sure that you'll find a book that will help you with all that, E.S., USP and all that.

So start work straight away on all this, there's not a moment to lose.

And as soon as the application is in, start preparing the interview, including CP, safeguarding and Rules & Regs!

You cannot leave this preparation until you know that you have definitely got an interview, it may be too late then, as some interviews are now called at very short notice.

Best of luck!

Twitter: @Theo_Griff

willcott likes this.