1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for HOD

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by y9840125, Mar 20, 2012.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    I am applying for my first HOD position. I have written my application and supporting letter and feel that I am completely ready for a HOD position. However, I also know that I don't do interviews very well. Therefore I really have two questions: 1) What do you think I should focus on in preparation for the interview? 2) What advice would you give me with regard to interview techniques?
    Any advice you could offer would be really welcome. I really, really want this job!

2. y9840125

Hi all,
    I am applying for my first HOD position. I have written my application and supporting letter and feel that I am completely ready for a HOD position. However, I also know that I don't do interviews very well. Therefore I really have two questions: 1) What do you think I should focus on in preparation for the interview? 2) What advice would you give me with regard to interview techniques?
    Any advice you could offer would be really welcome. I really, really want this job!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. The job description should indicate the areas of responsibility upon which you should focus your preparation, since most of the questions asked usually arise from this. Ensure you can answer with fluency questions about the use of data to analyse the performance of pupils and teachers and how you would act upon the conclusions drawn from such data. You are likely to be asked about how you would respond to continuing poor performance by a teacher in your department. You will be asked questions related to safeguarding and knowing the correct responses to these is crucial.
    2. Think before you speak - taking a drink of water can give useful thinking time. If you don't understand the question - or get lost whilst answering - say 'I'm sorry, could you repeat the question?'

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Excellent advice from Middlemarch. Another old favourite is a question around where you think the dept is now and what you'd do to improve standards/get it to 'outstanding' - many variations around that, 'what would be your priorities in the first 6 months/year?' is a popular question on panels at my school.

5. y9840125

Thank you both very much for your replies. Your advice is really welcome.