1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for HoD with zero experience

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by PuiS, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I've seen a fantastic job for a HoD that I want to apply for. The person specification doesn't ask for experience as a HoD, just for at least three years teaching experience, which I have.
    I've only ever worked in England and this position is in the Far East.
    Am I wasting my time?

2. I guess it depends on the school and what subject you teach. I've seen very few HoD jobs in my subject, so any HoDs out there looking to switch schools would have very limited options. In fact such people would surely have to consider dropping down to being a standard teacher.
    If it's a top tier school, then I'd say you are wasting your time. If not, then who can say. Either way, no harm in trying [​IMG] Though I do know for myself, I'd rather be a standard teacher at a good school than a HoD at a bad school!

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

True. It does remind one of the old line, "I would not join any club (school) that would have someone like me for a member (HoD)."
    But it does no harm to apply and I'm sure you have wasted time in much less potentially valuable ways.