1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for HOD job

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by newmummy1, Mar 15, 2018.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hi. I want to apply for a head of department job in a school overseas. What can I do in my application to persuade them to interview me? I am a subject teacher and don't have management experience, but I believe I have the necessary skills to make a very good manager.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Look at the job description and person specification and make sure your application details how you meet these requirements.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Review the job description and analyse this to see if your experience and skill set match what they’re looking for.

Are you planning on emigrating for the purpose of your job or is it just personal circumstances?

If it’s the former and there are no other mitigating circumstances to it (e.g your partner secures a job abroad) then I would seriously consider getting a HoD role in the UK first and then look at moving abroad.
    The curriculum will be different in a foreign country.
    One of the teachers in the MFL department at my school who been teaching in the UK since their NQT year in 2008 decided to move to Spain in 2013 to take a teaching / leadership post in a school over there, by 2016 she had returned to the UK.

5. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

The curriculum won't necessarily be different: many international schools follow the British Curriculum. However, others follow the MYP/IB curriculum, or the American one, or another. If it's not a British Curriculum school then, frankly, your chances are a bit slim.

On your application, flag up and detail occassions when you have led on something, or effected change in the department/school in some way. Read between the lines of the job description and the school's website: what needs to improve? Make suggestions in your application. What could you bring to the department/school that would be a selling point for them to potential parents (remember, although some International schools are non-profit, most aren't, and it's ultimately about the bottom line)? Flag this up and be explicit about the appeal.

It is possible to move abroad into a HoD role without previous HoD experience - I did it.

Good luck!

6. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Thanks everyone. The school is in New Zealand and they teach A levels and GCSEs as well as the NZ system.