1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for headship in a school due to fail

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by adamsmithart, Oct 17, 2015.

1. adamsmithart

adamsmithart New commenter

Hello,
    Can I stipulate in my contract that I cannot be dismissed if the school fails ofsted, due to the previous headteachers shortcomings?
    I understand that this is a time related issue, crying about issues from two years ago is lame, as they should have been fixed.
    But in this case the job has a pending ofsted hanging over it and will definitely fail/receive RI.
    Do I have any protection if I accept the post as Headteacher at this school?

2. carioco

carioco New commenter

In a word, no.
    If you take the post you will be expected to improve it quickly.
    If you don't fancy that, don't apply!
    I have had experience of joining a school which had just gone into a category, it was fabulous working there, but hard. I stayed for 11 happy years and would recommend it to anyone

3. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

If it's as obvious to the governing body as it is to you, you will not be held to blame as long as you have a plan of action on how to deal with the consequences of these lingering historical issues.

If I were the CoG I would be rather taken aback at a new HT making a contractual stipulation like this. I'd want you to be talking to me about how you will address the issues, rather than instructing me not to sack you over a hypothetical Ofsted report.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I might have to begin capability proceedings with some who aren't moving forward fast enough.
    Is that really what the capability process is designed to accomplish?
    Is this your first headship?

asnac likes this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It didn't used to be, but it seems as if it's OK to use it that way these days, as well, of course, as a budget balancing method.

6. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I do wonder what Head teacher's are taught at Headship courses because capability or constructive dismissals, should be a last resort if 'managing' is what Headships are about? Surely, it should be that you are able to manage staff and persuade them to a point of view and vision for the future of the school. that got you the job in the first place? Maybe I am a little naïve, perhaps.

7. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Not a head; if the schools needs to change (in SM/RI) and staff are not willing to change or potentially refuse to make appropriate changes to ensure the school improves it outcomes, despite support, then capability seems like a fair route to me. Why wouldn't it be?

8. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I might have to begin capability proceedings with some who aren't moving forward fast enough.

Staff are moving forward but not as fast as HT would like. That is not a reason for capability. Is there proof that the 'changes required' would bring about an improvement? A different set of Ofsted inspectors would probably have given a different grade. There is a lack of consistency in the current round of inspections.