1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Head of Department position - Letter help

Discussion in 'English' started by HappyAtLast, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Hi
    I am have been the Key Stage 4 Co-ordinator in a National Challenge school for the past four years and have decided that it's time to start thinking about another challenge. A HOD post has been advertised in a school much nearer to me but, as this will be my first application for HOD and I'm a bit stumped as to what to put in my application letter.
    Any advice or sample letters would be greatly appreciated to get me off the starting blocks!!
    I doubt if I will get the job but it will be good experience for hopefully the very near future!
    Thanking you wonderful people in anticipation!
    shell_coleman@hotmail.com

2. Hi
    I am have been the Key Stage 4 Co-ordinator in a National Challenge school for the past four years and have decided that it's time to start thinking about another challenge. A HOD post has been advertised in a school much nearer to me but, as this will be my first application for HOD and I'm a bit stumped as to what to put in my application letter.
    Any advice or sample letters would be greatly appreciated to get me off the starting blocks!!
    I doubt if I will get the job but it will be good experience for hopefully the very near future!
    Thanking you wonderful people in anticipation!
    shell_coleman@hotmail.com

3. You have mail - hope it helps and good luck.

V x

4. I am thinking of applying for the Head of the Math Dept. position. Right now my mind is completely blank. I would be most grateful if you send me a copy of your lette.
    My e-mail: jl121974@yahoo.com
    Kind regards,
    JB

5. Hi
    I am applying for a Head of Department job. I would be very grateful if you could send me your leeter of application so that i might get some ideas.
    polkjy@yahoo.com
    Thank you very much.
    Miles

6. I hope I'm not going to get shot down in flames here, but...*takes deep breath* - I don't think asking to see people's application letters (or sending yours to other people's) is an OK thing to do. Your letter is what the school is going to use to decide whether or not to interview you. If you haven't written it (or a substantial part of it has been taken from another person's, in any case) then it's not really you they're selecting, and that's not fair on the school or the other candidates. There's nothing wrong with getting general pointers of things to include - and as a HoD I'm happy to offer my two penn'orth of those, for sure - but I don't think getting an actual letter, presumably to see how things have been phrased, is right. Sorry, but there it is.

bob79 likes this.
  7. I could not agree more.... Having spent the best part of the day working on my covering letter, there is no way I would be sharing the actual letter... Pointers.. hints.. suggestions of things to include yes.. but not the actual letter.. also it is important to remember that there is no guarantee that someone else going for the same position has not borrowed the same letter... Imagine both applications would be shelved for that one.. in short.. write your own.. sell yourself.. they will be much more impressed than recieving a generic letter borrowed from someone else.

8. I'd go so far as to say if you can't fill an A4 sheet of paper with ideas about your skills, achievements and what you would bring to a department then you really shouldn't be applying for a HOD job!
    Sorry: I'm such a grumpy old git tonight. I don't know what is the matter with me!

9. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I totally agree with this grumpy old git! [​IMG] In fact,the idea that someone applying for a senior position in ENGLISH seems unable to even begin to word their own letter frankly leaves me speechless.

bob79 likes this.
  10. can you send it to me as well? Many thanks.

priswueng@gmail.com

11. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Yes totally agree. As a HOD you should at least be able to muster up a letter of your own!
    Your letter is written with the job specification in mind, you refer to what they want and show how them you can do it. You need to show them how you have made a difference to where you are and how you would improve or move things on. Show flair and originality. It is definitely your own slant on the job NOT some other person's view of it.
    I wonder what would happen if all these people who are asking for the letter went for the same job, and although tweaked the letter, it was obvious that there were sections that were identical!!!! Explain that to the interviewing panel!!!

bob79 likes this.
  12. Good for you!!
    What have you done in your school to RAISE ACHIEVEMENT?
    What are your successes in your current role?
    What VISION do you have for your new school(do your homework...study OFSTED reports
    Usual CV malarkey is standard but you must impress with your skills and vision.
    Good luck!

Taoshar123 likes this.
  13. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

Have to agree with other posters, I'm afraid - and I'm not a grumpy old git and I've been a Head of English. If you need to ask advice on writing a letter to become a Head of English, it means you are either not ready to be a Head of English or unsuited to be a Head of English. It's a bit like using Coles Notes when teaching a text at A level.

Try this simple test:
    if you are expected to teach youngsters who aim to get A*, you need to be able, spontaneously and in Reading, Writing and Speaking, to demonstrate A* yourself. I'm not thinking A* when I read calls for help in writing a letter....

14. I haven't been on for a while and have only just noticed the thread resurfacing, therefore I would like to make the following points:
    • This thread is over 2 years old!
    • I got the job and apparently am doing it well (results are up, anyway)
    • As English teachers, I presume that you show your students examples of texts before you expect them to write one (?)
    • My letter was most definitely my own and I would like to thank the HELPFUL people who contacted me with ADVICE which was my primary ask!
    Finally, some of you are the most judgemental people I have ever come across, particularly as you don't know me at all and have simply made presumptions about me and my character.
    There was a great deal more that I wanted to say here, but I am just simply too angry to type more.
    I hope that this thread will not put other people off from asking for help in the future.
    Best of luck to anyone applying for jobs and I promise a helpful, non-judgemental ear if anyone needs it.

15. Hi,

I was wondering if you could possibly help me.
    I have just come across your post whilst searching google for help with my application letter.
    I am applying for an internal head of science role within my school.

Could you send me anything that could possible help?

Thank you.

noz272002@yahoo.com

16. I could not agree with you more, those were some of the most elitist,
    silliest remarks I have ever read on this forum. Glad you got the job -
    excellent.

jaclynmccoy likes this.
  17. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Rather than being elitist and silly, I think some of the other posters are suggesting that any application letter should simply be structured around the required person spec and other information provided by the school website/the school themselves. To follow the structure of a letter for another school isn't a terrible thing: you say you got your HoD job with thanks to the advice on the exemplar (although you may not have followed that letter's structure.) All power to you.

It would be an interesting situation if that someone like me who reads these boards picks up a copy of the letter and sees stark similarities/phrases between an application for our HoD and one from the TES. However, that is unlikely to happen given as only three people or so have put their emails requesting one. Happens fairly frequently for jobs abroad, though.

bob79 likes this.
  18. You all want to nip over to the HT forum and see what they think of folk who copy or ask for ideas for application letters.

bob79 and jarndyce like this.
  19. Few of my pupils are applying for a leadership role...

20. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Unbelievable!!! Despite all the comments about writing YOUR OWN letter and that if you are going for a position as Head of Department you should be able to write YOUR OWN letter, there is still a post asking for the application letter!!!!!!!!!

If you want to job DO IT YOURSELF!