1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for full time, can I ask for part time?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by smeldred, Oct 26, 2019.

1. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

I've been looking for a new job for a long time. I live in a rural area with very few opportunities. I have seen a full time sendco role come up (non teaching) which I'd love to apply for. However it's about 40 minutes from where I live and I have 2 young children to consider. Is there any scope for asking if they'd consider me for the role as 0.8 or even 0.9? And if so is it best to ask before I apply or, if I got that far, at the interview/ job offer stage? Any advice welcome. I realise it's not ideal but the slight reduction in hours would make a difference. Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was in a similar position after my family were 'grown' and I phoned up the school and asked would it be possible. They told me to apply, I suspect they wanted to see hw many applications they had before ruling it out. I was invited for interview but when I brought up the question at the start of the interview, to avoid time-wasting they said there was no point in continuing as they had other candidates.

You can but try.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Depends if you can cope with doing the job full-time. If that is the case then delaying late into the interview before saying, "I would prefer to do this job as 0.8 if that is at all possible?" can be a goer. But of course you'd have to accept the full-time then if that was the only show in town. This approach means that you will get interview experience, be able to assess the competition and decide how strong your negotiating hand is. It is even possible that the school will see this as a chance to get full-time commitment for less money so the longer you have to judge that possibility the better.

4. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Thanks both for your replies. I'm still mulling over when would be the best time to ask but I have started writing my application!