1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for flexible working hours?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tafkam, Feb 5, 2012.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Did the letter from your school explain why they thought it unlikely that they would be able to offer flexible working to people? There are quite strict rules regarding the reasons such requests may be turned down.
    In your application you would do well to make clear that you recognise that there may be some inconveniences but that you can also see how these could be overcome. For example, if the issue is timetabling, then you can emphasise your willingness to be flexible about half-days as you suggest.
    www.tesfaq.co.uk/flexibleworking

2. Thanks for your reply. The letter talked about consistancy for the pupils and maintaining a high quality of education. I got some help from a friend and as you suggested pointed out not only the positives of reduced hours, but how any issues could be overcome. Just 28 days to wait now....

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Remember, even if they agree in principle, they still have to find someone of a good enough calibre to do the other part of your job.
    I once had a very disappointed teacher crying in my office when I told her I'd advertised the part-time post and not had a single response...