1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for first NQT role after PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missmacmillan, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I finished my PGCE last year and have been working this year with a charity that educates children who have been excluded from school.
    I am now looking to apply for my NQT year in London as a secondary school art and design teacher. Being out of university now I have little support and advice and have not a clue where to start writing covering letters and personal statements.
    In terms of applying I have been sent an application form from the school I wish to apply for. It has a box that I think I need to write a personal statement in. Do I then also write a covering letter about myself that I send off with the application? And are there any examples online that I can see to get the jist of how they should be written?
    I keep sitting down to write it and then get myself in a tizz!
    Thank you for your support.
    Miss Mac

2. Good question and one that has been on my mind also!

3. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I advise looking at the Jobseekers forum where this question has been dealt with in a number of posts. There are also some very useful 'clickables' inside the welcome thread on that forum. Good luck with your jobhunting!

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Personally, I have always written 'Please see attached letter' in the box, and written my personal statement in the letter. I found it invaluable to look at other people's examples of this before attempting my own, so would definately recommend this. I'm Primary, or I'd offer to send you mine. It would be best to look at secondary examples just incase there are differences.
    It sounds as though you have developed excellent experience in your year out. Good luck!

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I wrote a big, lovely personal statement, then in my covering letter gave a quick explanation of who I was and what I had done during training, explained why I was applying for the position and how I thought I could add to the extra-curricular activities of the school.
    Worked a treat and I'm still there! [​IMG]

6. Do look at the jobseeker's forum Theogriff has some fantastic advice and he knows what he is talking about!
    There are also resource links there as well.
    James

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can also visit prospects.ac.uk website and download their guides on Getting your first teaching post and general info on letters of application etc. Be prepared for lots of applications Art & Design posts were in short supply even before the introduction of the E Bac downgraded the subject status in many schools--and the competition in London is fierce.
    As a graduate you can also contact the Careers Group of London university for individual support