1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for first job....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by noodles29, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I've just finished my first placement (secondary MFL) and spotted a job yesterday that I could apply for, but have a few questions about actually doing so!

First of all, a couple of little questions about the form: is my British Council assistantship in Germany from my year abroad relevant in the "teaching experience" section, or should that just be referred to within the letter of application? Also with regards to references it says the following: "If newly qualified your 1st reference should be from your College/University and your 2nd should be from your final teaching practice placement." so obviously my course manager will be the first one, but do I approach my first (and only) placement for the second, and do I put down my mentor, or the headteacher (who I really had nothing to do with?)

And about the letter of application in general: is it best to go through the points on the person and job descriptions to frame the structure of the letter, or structure it in another way while still making sure they're included?

Also if anyone has any examples of letters of applications they could send me, I'd be very grateful- I work well from examples! noodles29@hotmail.co.uk

Sorry if these are rather basic questions- I feel better for even having asked them in a way!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's 'officially on holiday' at the moment-though he might pop in from time to time & might pick this up.
    So to answer your questions as best as I can. Are you doing A PGCE course as you've only done one placement? Don't worry about putting the 'Head down as a reference, even though they don't know you. Heads have to 'officially sign off' any references, but will often delegate this to a staff member who is more familiar with the person.
    As to filling in the formhave a look at the expert's advice here
    Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview... where there's further advice
    Applications that annoy the appointments committee How to get shortlisted How not to get shortlisted
    PLEASE don't look at other people's examples or let others look at yours, as many schools use computer programmes to search out 'duplicate phrases' and then reject both! You don't want to get thrown out before you've had a chance to show what you can do.
    If your points aren't covered, as to your "is it best to go through the points on the person and job descriptions to frame the structure of the letter". Yes look at the job spec and address how you fulfil that criteria. Combine any points where possible & logical.
    Also, viel Glueck!