1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for first job - confused!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by islandme, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I am currently training to be an English teacher and have found a position which I would like to apply for. I have already checked to see if they will consider NQTs so am going to give it a shot. The website asks for the form to be completed and no CVs - should I still send a cover letter/personal statement? Secondly, the application form asks for 'all employment history' - obviously, as I am in my PGCE year I have not had a job in teaching...do I still list previous employment even if it is not relevant? I have spent most of my time volunteering in schools overseas - should I write about this on the covering letter? There is no where to write about it on the application form, they are only interested in previous employment.
    Lastly, my PGCE works in the sense that we do not have any experience in school until January, where we then complete 6 months in 2 schools. That make it really difficult to apply for jobs that have started to appear in January - but I still want to give it a try as I have to start somewhere... even though I have only taught a few lessons so far. Silly?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welcome to the Forum!
    The first thing for you to do is note that this afternoon there is an on-line Q&A session with Prof John Howson that should help you no end! 5.00 - 6.30 this evening. Be there or be square . . .
    Secondly you need to open the Welcome page and read the FAQs and the Shortlisting clickables. This should also give you loads of advice to help you. Other posters swear by it!
    Yes, CVs are Out Out Out. Gov advice to schools is not to ask for them. So don't bother.
    Yes, you also need a personal statement.
    Your overseas experience although not paid employment can go on the employment bit of the form, as you have no actual joib as yet. Later on, you can put your TP on these, in both cases making it claer not paid employment. In a few years you'll not bother with those any more.
    Yes, also talk about what yoiu learned, what you gained professionally from oversead experience in your letter.
    Yes, put non-teaching experience with full dates on the form - you are required to do this for Child protection.
    Finally - schools know that NQTs don't have much experience, so give it a go anyway!
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo - I will most definately be tuning in at 5!
    So, just to check, if the school has not asked for a personal statement - it's still okay to write one anyway?
    Thanks again for replying.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.
    You will send 3 things.
    1. an application form
    2. an application letter/personal statement. If you don't you probably will be rejected straight away. See the FAQs for differences between these.
    3. an executive summary. Put it on the end of your letter as a third page, or in the space in the application form that says "Additional information in support of your application" if there's enough room there. They won't ask for this exec summary either, but it gets results:
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    If you still feel that you need some extra help, then come along to one of our Weekend Workshops on Job Applications. People find them extremely helpful. See the Information Tag at the end of my posts for more details.
    What a lovely day I had yesterday!
    Very best of luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!