1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for drama school

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by sparklepig2002, Mar 9, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

thank you again

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Why?
    This is a serious question.

3. I don't wish to sound negative but i'm assuming that if it's acting he's applying for you have prepped him up for the fact that age could play a part in his getting in?

The advice given so far on this thread has been great but I would also add on the material front that he considers comedy where this fits in with the audition criteria and can show his skill. As someone who has sat on endless panels for musical theatre/drama schools and professional shows I would add that the auditionee that comes in with a funny piece stands out from the reams of mediocre performed Shakespeare/mental health type monologue that you get hours and hours of. Sometimes being on the panel for these things can feel like that scene from Friends where Joey does his speech at the wedding...

4. sparklepig2002

because he wants to be an actor. It has something he has always wanted to do, is passonate about and spends every available chance he can to perform. He is determined to give it his best shot, despite his parents trying to persuade otherwise.He does not want to be famous, but wants to be able to make a living by acting.We will support him in his dream abd be there to pick up the pieces if necessary!

5. sparklepig2002

We are beginning to realise that drama schools seem to prefer mature students.He has also applied to several universities to study drama,We think this is the best option, to hoepfully get a degree first, so he can fall back on teaching, drama therapy perhaps.He could then apply to drama schools post graduate. However, it is his real dream to get accepted into a drama school
    Which drama schools were you involved with? He has applied to the Guildhall and has an audition at Central next month-5000 applicants for very few places.[​IMG] He has decided to aim high to begin with, Unfortunately drama schools dont seem to offer any feedback, which is a shame, as constructive critisicm would be very useful.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

6. Another alternative is to do a drama degree at the best university he can get into and then do an acting MA at a drama school. Whatever he does I can only reiterate that he needs a real and realised interest in theatre. Does he go to the theatre? (and I don't mean on school trips). My daughter was asked at interview what was the most inspiring piece of theatre she had seen and why - if she'd said some popular musical or other obvious piece of popular theatre she would not have got in.
    Remember too that there are lots of careers in theatre, not just acting eg front of house management, theatre management, theatre admin, production, stage management, lightingh, sound, direction etc

7. sparklepig2002

He goes at every opportunity he can. He lives and breathes the theatre.

8. That'll definitely work in his favour if he can talk about a range of theatre he's seen of his own accord. :)

9. One institution may see something that another cannot. It is common, when auditioning for drama school, to hedge your bets. In the 1980's I was accepted by two schools, rejected by three. Good luck sparklepig2002 minor!

10. sparklepig2002

thank you. Just out of interest, which one did you go to and what did you do after drama school?I assume teaching, if you are on this forum, but did you get the opportunity to do anything with acting first?

11. Hi sparklepig2002. Sorry for the late reply. I live and work in Hong Kong and don't check the forum as often as I might.

I attended the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama (not Royal in the 80's though!) and had 15 enjoyable years as an actor, most of it in educational theatre. I decided to train as a Drama teacher and lo... here I am. I have many friends who are still in the profession. Each persons experience is very different. Some cannot sustain a career as an actor and others flourish...talent with a big dose of luck is often how it happens, combined with resilence. A necessity to survive all the rejection!

12. sparklepig2002

ooh-Hong Kong! how lovely. I had a wonderful few days there once, the highlight being a trip up th Peak at night with breath-taking views.
    Thank you for your comments. He now has three offers for a drama degree at universities and an audtion at the Central school coming up. I think he has resigned himself to doing a degree first and then applying to drama school as a post grad, We will see how he gets on at Central. Unfortunately we have no contacts with anyone in the profession. He is determined to give it his best shot and we will support him.
    educational drama sounds very interesting.
    thanks again.

13. I too chose the Drama School route and gained a place at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (or Royal Conservatoire as it is now). It took me three attempts because, in hindsight, I simply wasn't ready the first two times. My advice would be to keep going; don't give up. Find your ideal place and audition until you get in - there was someone in my year who had auditioned five times before they were accepted so don't ever give up.
    I too did a little bit of acting; mainly regional stuff and TIE stuff. I did a lot of workshops with kids when I was working with the TIE group and, the teaching bit seemed to spurr from there AND one of my tutors at RSAMD actually thought I'd make an excellent teacher. I got in touch with her when I passed my PGCE to say thank you as I didn't believe her at the time but; she was right!!!!
    For me; Drama school was THE only route. I am not what you call "academic" so University lectures etc were not for me; the intensity and the practical nature of a Drama school is what taught me what I know and is how I now teach. [​IMG]