1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for catholic school job

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Ophelia 9, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Perhaps you should be grateful she was so honest! Unfortunately, it is quite often the case that TA vacancies actually have someone lined-up and schools just go through the interview process as a formality - frankly, I would appreciate the receptionist cutting through the c**p and saving me the bother of going through an interview when my chances of success were virtually nil.

2. Hiya,
    I agree that it would be nice to actually be told that there was no point applying! It sounds harsh but I know that a lot of jobs get advertised as a formality as the school already have someone lined up, so it's nice not to have to go to all the trouble of applying and the stress of an interview for nothing. I had a couple of interviews where I was told by the head afterwards that they already knew the sucessful candidate etc! It was horrid to have gone through all that when really I didn't stand a chance!
    As for Catholic schools, they will take a Catholic candidate over one who is not, I used to work at a Catholic school and I am Catholic. I have seen application forms for jobs in my area now that are not the standard local borough one, but the CES one and they ask for a reference from the parish priest! Not sure if this is the case everywhere. It doesn't seem fair to say don't bother if you are not of that faith, and that certainly is not stated on any job adverts but the school ask the question in the interview, how can you contribute to the faith/ ethos etc of the school? No matter how fantastic you are, they could argue that you might not be able to answer this.