1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Assistant Head vacancys

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by wolfpe, Sep 20, 2017.

1. wolfpe

wolfpe New commenter

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice regarding applying for an assistant head and the type of things I need to have done etc.

I am currently Head of Department and for consecutive years results have increased, I have led whole school initiatives designing programmes for select students and data analysis packages/templates whilst also gaining interest within my subject at options by a 40% increase over 3 years. I don't want to put everything on here as this isn't the place but this was just some examples.

My main concern is I have no recent leadership CPD and due to funding cannot be sent on any due to costings (around £300 the courses I have seen + my cover costs). What type of things do I need to highlight in an application for Assistant Head posts? I do not want to talk just about my department impact, likewise need to try and sell myself for my whole school impacts and how my skills can transfer from department to assistant head. Also there are always going to be part of a job description with assistant head posts that I don't have experience with such as "options" or "exams officer". Is this understandable?

Im not sure if I have posted this in the correct place so please move, but any advice you could give me to try and stand out from the crowd, learn more things or anything to make me more suitable would be gratefully received.

Thanks

install likes this.
  2. dts

dts New commenter

You won't generally have done everything in an AH job description unless you are already working at that level - any sensible employer should understand that. What you should be able to do is point to how the experience you do have has prepared you for the responsibilities you would have - think about transferable skills. For timetabling, surely you have worked on things like set/teacher allocations as a HoD?

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Correct spelling...

4. install

install Star commenter

You are in a Catch 22 situation. You need experience and training at a higher whole school level inorder to gain your next post.

5. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

As you teach an option subject, this is the first thing to consider. You will be up against colleagues who bring core subject experience and there is already a disparity to overcome. There will be many who have similar achievements from all subjects like you that have successful outcomes over time and done something whole school.

Don't look at the job description, look at the person spec. This is what's used to shortlist. Assess yourself against a job on TES, notice the gaps and get this experience by knitting it into your appraisal meeting i.e. request work shadow of SLT to work on another whole school project that will have the impact of improving you in another area. Keep talking to other SLT about possible opportunities to grow your experience.

In the event you're not successful in AHT applications, go for a head of faculty role to gain experience of line managing outside of your area - it would be a new challenge and give you more depth prior to a SLT role.

6. wolfpe

wolfpe New commenter

Hi,

Thank you for your responses.

7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You have mentioned about whole school impact - do you have responsibilities that impact areas outside of your subject e.g. being an NQT assessor. If you need to gain experience in this area speak to the relevant SLT person in your school who will be happy to suggest possible areas in which you could get involved