1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for ARB at 55

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Missbubbleblue, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Missbubbleblue

Missbubbleblue New commenter

I applied for ARB today and I can't believe how anxious this has made me feel!
    The process of applying has stirred up emotions I thought I'd dealt with by the time I left teaching last Summer, after 27 years service.

In 2013 I had a complete mental and physical breakdown due to bereavement, work-related stress and a hostile SLT response. With the help of my lovely family, friends and cognitive behavioural therapy I recovered. I did supply work for two terms before accepting a permanent contract in a very challenging school. Eventually, I realised that 60 hour plus working weeks were not for me and I planned my escape. I have absolutely no regrets regarding leaving my teaching position and will never teach again.

I now work in a less demanding environment doing a useful job which pays a decent salary with a decent pension. My colleagues are friendly, welcoming and fun to be with. I've got my life back and I'm very happy.

So my question is why have I regressed into anxiety at this point? Has anyone experienced a similar reaction?

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Hi Missbubbleblue. Your story has many echoes of my own so thought I'd chip in here. Taking ARB was the best thing I ever did and although the application process can be daunting, stick with it. Maybe you're feeling anxious because taking your pension will close off this chapter in your life? It's great that you now enjoy your job, so look at taking ARB as a nice addition to your salary! Let us know how you get on.

thistledoo, eljefeb90 and emerald52 like this.
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Agree. Good luck! Enjoy the cash!

FrankWolley, thistledoo and eljefeb90 like this.
  4. LadyForlorn

LadyForlorn New commenter

I felt exactly the same when I handed over my completed ill-health retirement application forms to HR. I decided back in September that I couldn't cope with my job any more, and had realised by October that my teaching career was at an end. Handing in those forms still felt like a final 'no going back from this' moment.

I still wonder whether I could have stuck it out for another couple of years, but what's done is done. I have no regrets.

I am glad you found another role that suits you and that you feel is worthwhile.

thistledoo likes this.
  5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I can't claim to be an amateur psychologist, but, as @BertieBassett2 said, you will inevitably reflect on your teaching experience as you definitively closed the door on it. Since your experience was so stressful and damaging, reliving it was bound to make you feel anxious. A mood -enhancer would be working out what to do with your lump sum. Just be careful you don't end up paying too much tax if you opt for maximum pension alongside your existing salary. I am sure it'll be a great 2018!

thistledoo likes this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Remember - when you started your career you didn’t think it would end the way it did. Teachers of your current age were senior teachers who had been in the school since the year dot, had their own chair and freely dispensed advice and opinions to anyone who listened _ You would,have had GCSE (I started teaching o level and cse) but you did not have Ofsted and very few people knew what a spreadsheet was let alone what you did with it!!!

A good thread to start might be - how did you think your career would end up - I bet no one or very few achieved what they thought they would! -I didn’t !

You are feeling anxious because at the moment anything to do with your past education life has that trigger - you will get better - as a previous poster said the mone will help - to keep it however you do have to achieve one performance manage,ent target - keep breathing - if you cannot do that it will be stopped!

angel09, thistledoo and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I agree with the other posters and think as you completed the ARB forms you experienced thoughts about your aspirations and emotions linked to where you thought you might be when you finally retired from teaching. It may also be a feeling of finality, a closure of that time in your life... but it needn't be because you could always go back into teaching if you really wanted to. It is good to hear that you changed direction and you are happy. Enjoy the ARB!

eljefeb90 likes this.
  8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Missbubbleblue, as silly as it sounds I think their is a sort of grieving process when you finish a career of 27 years. Something that you have been dedicated to, worked hard at and has been a huge part of your life. Then there is sometimes a rather abrupt end and that's it. Give yourself time and look after yourself. Plan a holiday or treat to look forward to, eat well and try to have a daily walk.

9. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I took ARB at Christmas after 36 years in the profession. For me personally, my plan for retirement was not to make any plans and just enjoy each day as it comes; for the first time in my life - since I was about five years old & starting Infant school - nobody expects anything of me & it feels great..!!

10. angel09

angel09 New commenter

As others have said, it is normal to be sad that taking ARB meant this chapter of your professional life is coming to a close and a certain amount of uncertainties. In a few years time you, like me will wonder why you didn’t do it earlier. Your well being is top priority. I have been there..occupational health referral..CBT..
    Ps. The pension will arrive on your birthday after what seems like a long period of inactivity on the TP website.

FrankWolley likes this.