1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for another job whilst on a fixed term contract... can they end my contract early?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SENDgf, Aug 4, 2020.

1. SENDgf

SENDgf New commenter

Hello I'm entering my third year employed on a fixed term contract at my school. This academic year I will be applying to other schools and I will request a meeting with my headteacher to discuss my intentions.

My question is, can my school choose to prematurely end my fixed term contract on hearing that I intend to leave?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

J x

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes (depends what you mean by "premature")

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, subject to notice periods.

But why would they? You are on a fixed term contract, school isn't committing to employ you beyond end of 2010-21 so why wouldn't you apply for other jobs? If they commit to making you permanent you can commit to being permanent!

Actually you do have protection against unfair dismissal after 2 tears on a fixed term contract but I haven't dug into that info. Your union can advise.

5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I think they would be on very dodgy ground indeed if they chose to end your fixed term contract "on hearing" you were looking for another post.... and they just wouldn't do that. Hence my brief answer - no!
    I suppose they could... but unfair dismissal would certainly be a risk factor for them and it just wouldn't make sense to give you notice. They need you for the year.
    I actually wonder whether they have given you a legal reason for the contract being fixed term for the third year in a row.... they can't be still citing pending restructure or budget review....

agathamorse likes this.