1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for another job while covering a maternity leave.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snowflakesfalling, Feb 4, 2016.

1. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Bit of a dilemma. I'm covering a maternity leave at the moment and a job I really, really want has come up. The problem is that the interview isn't till after half term therefore I would have missed the deadline for resigning to leave at Easter if I got an interview that is! I've been in post since January and the lady I'm covering for is coming back in June so I'm facing a summer with no pay anyway whereas the new job is permanent.
    What to do?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Check your contract. You may be on a month's notice rather than the usual resignation dates. Maternity cover has different T&Cs I think.

GLsghost, snowflakesfalling and wanet like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, @marlin is correct - check your contract!

It may be only a month's notice, it may even be only 2 weeks. :)

It is very unusual for maternity cover posts to have the normal resignation dates.

Best wishes

4. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

According to my contract (if I've read it right) I have to give the normal amount of notice and they can give me a month!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

(Just in case: you do know that the standard resignation date is the end of February, not the end of half term, don't you? Sometimes people aren't clear about that, and if the interview is in February, you're fine; you can resign in time. Double-check if not an LA school, of course, as academies may not use the usual rules.)

I thought notice periods were supposed to be the same either way, but I don't know if that's a legal requirement. With hindsight, it's possibly something you should have queried when given the contract, but check it out with your union.

Also bear in mind that the new school might be prepared to wait for you, if you're the right person for them. They've missed their chance to get anyone already in post, so somebody who can start in June might be better than somebody who can't start until September, or somebody who can start immediately but is not as good. If you ask them whether they'd consider your application, they may well say yes - unless they are expecting a large field or know they have somebody lined up.

Resolve likes this.
  6. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

You can always leave at any time by mutual consent. Your new school will know not all heads are willing to release someone before set resignation dates. But if you don't ask....