1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for another job, how does it work now i am an NQT?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ttxes12, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ttxes12

ttxes12 New commenter

I have been at my school since Sept and i love the kids and the school but circumstances have changed in my personal life and i am considering moving back home near friends and family as i feel this would make me happier. I have seen a couple of jobs i may be interested in but i am clueless about the job hunting procedure now i am an NQT.

Do i tell my head of department? Head Teacher?

Before applying, after applying?

Do i see them in person? Its a very big school and we have had a new head teacher this year so i doubt they know who i am.

Who do i get references off?? etc

Any help/advise greatly appreciated

2. ttxes12

ttxes12 New commenter

I have been at my school since Sept and i love the kids and the school but circumstances have changed in my personal life and i am considering moving back home near friends and family as i feel this would make me happier. I have seen a couple of jobs i may be interested in but i am clueless about the job hunting procedure now i am an NQT.

Do i tell my head of department? Head Teacher?

Before applying, after applying?

Do i see them in person? Its a very big school and we have had a new head teacher this year so i doubt they know who i am.

Who do i get references off?? etc

Any help/advise greatly appreciated

3. Write down exactly why you are leaving. Tell your Head of Department in a mentor meeting, and give one or two of the main reasons why you are leaving. Arrange an appointment with the HT (they will normally be asked to give you a reference) and just cut to the chase in as nice a way as possible! Perhaps something along the lines of "I'm just going to go straight to it - would you be willing to be my referee". Just as long as you pitch it right, you should be fine [​IMG]

With regards to particular references, double check with the school you're applying for. A nice email/phone call shows you care! Good luck!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As you've been advised, you must tell the headteacher before you apply, not the least because s/he will definitely be asked for a reference.
    As for the referees - in addition to your current headteacher, your HOD is probably best placed to provide your second reference.