1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for another job during NQT Year? Good or bad

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Wokky1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I have already got a permanent job (based on passing my NQT year) that seems to be going quite well so far. However, the travel somedays is really killing me and sometimescan be over an hour in the car each way, each day.
    I have seen an opportunity at a school closer to my home that Ive always admired and would not only save me a lot of time but a hell of a lot of money in petrol too
    My problem is I dont know what to say and who to say it to at my current school, that I am applying elsewhere in my NQT year. The school has been really supportive and I really enjoy working there and feel like I would be letting them down.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone ever been in this position?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If you're enjoying the school I'd be considering moving home rather than moving schools. I'm sure you've seen the number of post about people having an awful time and if your one of the lucky (few?) who have a great workplace you may find your move to a school closer to home may not be all you hoped for.
    I'm not saying it to be negative but just make sure you think it through before you go for it. Could you visit before you decide to apply (and have to inform your head?) If your dead set then I'm sure your head will understand about the commute. xx

3. Hi,
    I'm in almost the same position! Although I have actually approached my school as I decided to put an application forward for another (as it happened it didn't work out).
    I believe that honesty is the best policy so I was completely upfront about applying and said that it is no reflection on the school or the support that I have been given. The Head Teacher was not judgemental in any way and appreciated my reasons.
    I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons for my own situation, the students are brilliant and I've settled in fairly well. However, my desired route for promotion is very unlikely to become available at my current school. Also moving in NQT does have its bonuses as we are still fairly 'cheap'.
    There is no harm in applying, especially if it makes your life easier. But... I guess that no school will ever be completely perfect!
    Sorry for the stream of consciousness that my post seems to be, not particularly useful.

4. Very useful, believe it or not. I just feel like Im letting down the staff who have supported me at my current school, including my head of dept and upto the Headmaster.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To be brutal you have to do what is best for yourself. As long as you work within the set resignation dates- May for September-then no reason at all why you should not move on

6. I supported an NQT last year she was a good NQT and after easter told me she was applying to work at another school because she wanted to be closer to home.
    She got the job and moved on to another school.
    She assured me that I had supported her in her NQT year and she loved the pupils and staff at our school. I was disappointed that she wanted to move on so soon but understood her reasons
    She has moved on and we have remained good friends. .
    She has however said she wishes in a way she didn't move on as she does not enjoy her current school as much as ours. She also feels like she is reapeating her NQT year as she has to learn all new systems and a very different style of planning.
    I think you should be honest with your team and they may be dissappointed but if you get on well with your team they should support you.
    It is your decision just make sure whatever you apply for it is a school where you will feel part of that team and understand the school ethos.
    Goodluck