1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a teaching post at child's school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sarah26, Jun 9, 2011.

1. A job that I would really like has come up at my daughters school in a different key stage. I am really struggling with my letter of support as I wanted to write how it was my choice of school for her and how this gives me a valuable insight as a parent...something like that! I have reworded it so many times now and I am getting nowhere! Any help and advice would be very appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't know what Theo will say but my advice for what it's worth would be to treat the application just the same as for a shool you didn't know which you'd researched & like the ethos etc. I wouldn't mention any reference to sending your child personally.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would try to think more like a teacher rather than like a parent for this letter.
    Try saying something about how you understand and support the school ethos as a parent, and this will therefore enable you to X, Y and Z as a teacher in the school.
    They want to have value-added from you!
    Best of luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I was not to start with but then I felt that it is something that I should disclose and I am concerned as to when to tell them, as I don't want them to think that I was 'hiding it' so I was trying to show that it is a positive thing.