1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a teaching assistant post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fabulous1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and others,
    I am currently waiting on the completion of a CA after a tough few years at my current school.
    I've decided that I can not return to teaching but would still love to stay in education(it hasn't sapped my
    morale completely!!) I think I would be a fab asset as a TA but I'm unsure how to get this message across in my
    application forms. Also, how do I explain to employers that I am serious about this move, when I am currently an
    UPS 3 teacher? I want to sound positive and don't want to come across as a former c**p teacher (it's what they
    have made me feel like, I'm afraid) Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time - put Dear Theo as part of your title, as I don't always have time to open everything on the off-chance that it's inside.
    Actually I think that they are likely to jump at you - getting an experienced teacher for a TA salary . . .
    You need to show that you have thought clearly and carefully about the difference between being a teacher (the star of the show) and a TA (the supporting role). And say how you would support the pupils and teacher to achieve the aims decided by the latter.
    I should also say quite honestly why you want to move to TA - I guess that it's to do with helping children to succeed while at the same time actually having a family life again.
    Very understandable!
    Best wishes