1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a TA job after PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by simplyme1, Apr 5, 2016.

1. simplyme1

simplyme1 New commenter

Hello all,

I am currently doing my final year PGCE in teaching learners with learning difficulties at an FE College. I have started applying for teaching jobs, either in special schools and FE Colleges with Supported Learning departments. However, I was also considering to apply for TA jobs (not LSA) to gain more experience, but not 100% sure on it.

Also, currently working part time as a LSA at a post-16 college and teaching for 4 hours a week but I would like to find a job elsewhere.

I would be very grateful for any advice/responses! :)

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Why? Is it because there are a lack of teaching jobs - if so then you need to use the TA role as a means of getting into the schools. However some Heads would consider you are applying for these roles because you can't /don't want to teach particularly as you have experience of LSA work.
    You may also find in some areas that TA posts are as competitive if not more competitive than teaching roles.

3. simplyme1

simplyme1 New commenter

Thank you very much for your reply.
    There are not many teaching jobs within the post 16 sector for special needs so I was thinking of applying for a QTS once I finish my PGCE to teach in special schools. In the mean time, I wanted to work as a TA to gain more experience in teaching learners in schools.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide