1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a PGCE in Primary Education in September - advice very much appreciated!! :)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by eskimoflo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Hi! I have just finished by second year of my English degree, and I am planning on applying for a PGCE to start in September 2012! I've been spending time gaining experience in a primary school setting, but my question is, have I done enough!
    Since the beginning of September 2010 I have been going into my local primary school on Wednesday and Friday afternoons and working with four children on a one to one basis and helping them with their reading and doing activities with them in order to improve their self confidence. Then, since April (as I was beginning to have more free time from Uni!) I also went into school every Thursday to help out in a year 2 class. Soon after that I starting going in every Monday morning to help out in a year 3/4 class (this increased to all day Monday once I finshed Uni). After I finished Uni, I started helping out in a reception class on a Tuesday. I still go in on a Wednesday and Friday afternoon as well!
    So in a nutshell!
    Two afternoons a week since the beginning of the school year.
    1 day a week since April.
    2 days a week since May
    3 days a week since June
    And I have worked with reception, year 2 and a year 3/4 class.
    I'm worried that it will go against me that I have worked with year 5 or 6! I would love to, but there aren't any more days! And I'm worried it won't be enough!
    So I'm just wondering what everyone thinks!
    Any advice would be very much appreciated! :)
    Thanks! :)

2. camis

camis New commenter

I will be interested in any replies as I am also applying this September to start Primary PGCE in September 2012, but some advise I was given was to also try and spend at least a couple of days in Secondary to show that you have considered which is the best age range for you. I haven't managed to fit this in yet but have made arrangements to do some observation in September - can you arrange something for Autumn and then at least you can put on your application that it is something you are planning. Same for Year 5/6. Good luck!

3. I got a place on a PGCE havingbeen in a school for one day, the day before the interview. Some uni's place more importance on it than others. You could call your first choice and ask them. Im going to Leicester who are more relaxed with this. I had to do 2 weeks as a condition of the place. I think for Derby you have to have done 10 days to apply. I work full time so found it difficult. Once got my place then I quit my job and did the experience.

4. I got my place with 3 weeks experience in a primary school and 2 hours a week in a secondary school. It really depends on the provider and the actual interview itself. Just make sure you have a killer personal statement and that you get your GTTR form sent away at the earliest opportunity. Give your Referee lots of notice because a friend of mine had to wait 2 weeks for theirs to reply while mine replied and had it sent off within 2 hours!

Good luck! :)

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What the provider cares about is what you've learned from the experience you've had in school. The more experience you've had, the more likely it is that you'll be able to answer questions insightfully - but as long as you can answer insightfully, drawing on your classroom experience it back up whatever you're saying, then you've got 'enough' experience, be it a couple of weeks or a couple of years.

6. Thanks everyone, thats really reassuring! I do feel like I have learned alot from my experience, I've been keeping a diary to keep note of everything so I don't forget!
    My first choice asks for 10 days, so I've got more than enough, I just know its so competitive! I have a casual job that involves working with secondary school children which I do enjoy, but I feel much more suited to primary! Thanks again for all the advice, its really helpful! :) xx