1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for a permanent post

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Filiz06, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Filiz06

Filiz06 New commenter

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a daft question but I'm unsure as to whether to put my supply agency as my current/most recent employer on an application for a permanent post.

I've only been fully registered with my agency for about two weeks and haven't had any work with them yet-hence my question.

To give some context, I left a permanent post at the end of August to take some time out of teaching for health, personal and family reasons. I initially wasn't sure if I wanted to go back in and didn't rush to sign up for supply or look for other posts.

I know that my former heads will give me a good reference but am I right in thinking that I will have to include a reference from my agency if I put them as my current employer?

Or should I add a covering note to say that I'm registered with supply but haven't worked yet which is my rationale for not including them as a referee?

Thanks in advance

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Unless you get work, I wouldn't even mention the agency as they haven't employed you (yet).
    Otherwise it might look like you registered in September, and they have never used you.

3. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

You say “fully signed up”
    Were you registered with them in September?
    You might need to/be able to use the dates for safeguarding/continuation purposes.

When I was in the same position, I put one sentence in the “current position” section the application form saying I was currently registered with an agency but my recent post had all the person spec stuff.

I then gave the supply agencies’ contact details for a safeguarding reference (dates and to say there have been no safeguarding issues. They should be able to vouch for your up to date dbs/it be on the update service). I asked first- they’re used to doing this.
    I also gave extra references so agencies, last school, school before that and a personal/character reference.

The continuation of employment/gaps in paid employment is a big thing in some places.
    So... it’s up to you!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Filiz06

Filiz06 New commenter

Thanks for your response.

No, I only got my certificate of registration from them about two weeks ago. I started the process of registration in October but it took a while for my references and the DBS to come through.

Regarding continuation of employment, as I only got my certificate recently I will have an employment gap in September/October regardless of whether I mention the supply agency or not. So I'm unsure of how much use mentioning supply will be for the sake of continuous employment covering a couple of weeks. However, I also don't want to appear as though I have something to hide by omitting mention of supply. A tricky one!

[/QUOTE]

5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Whilst I would say you can’t hide anything, you’ve nothing to hide by not putting it!
    Good luck whatever you decide!