1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a new teaching job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by misshalfpenny, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hello, I am on M5. I am finding my current school hard going - behaviour isn't the worst but it is going downhill and moreover I want a change.
    I have seen a couple of jobs I would like to apply for and was wondering if being on M5 is going to be a huge disadvantage, as many posts on this form seem to indicate that schools are eager to keep costs down and therefore want to employ an NQT where possible to fill vacancies.
    I don't really want to go through the hassle of asking my HT for a reference, filling in the forms and taking a day out for interview if I haven't at least got a good chance.
    Any thoughts?

2. Hello, I am on M5. I am finding my current school hard going - behaviour isn't the worst but it is going downhill and moreover I want a change.
    I have seen a couple of jobs I would like to apply for and was wondering if being on M5 is going to be a huge disadvantage, as many posts on this form seem to indicate that schools are eager to keep costs down and therefore want to employ an NQT where possible to fill vacancies.
    I don't really want to go through the hassle of asking my HT for a reference, filling in the forms and taking a day out for interview if I haven't at least got a good chance.
    Any thoughts?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you have to take into account that many people for whom being 'on a hgher pay scale' is a problem, are those teachers, who for one reason or another, are currently not in permanent posts. Trying to convince schools we are up to date and currently 'up to the job' when we cost more <u>is</u> a disadvantage.
    However I do feel it is different for teacher currently 'in post'! So just check when a post is advertised they mention something along the lines of 'Applications from experienced teachers are welcome.' or obviously where some responsibility is involved.
    Might also be different if you're Primary to Secondary too.(More total budget in Sec. whereas a general class teacher is a general class teacher and someone on say M3/4 is experienced but will initially be cheaper to the school. They soon make it up though.)
    Best of luck with your applications.
    Do mention that you're looking 'to expand your experience within another school setting', whatever is appropriate and are greatful for all the opportunities you've had at your present school when you go to your Head/HoD/DH to mention this and ask them if they could provide for a reference.

4. Thanks very much for your reply!
    At the moment, I feel I'd like to try my hand at a school in a different setting, especially as our roles are falling and I think redundancies may be on the cards soon ...