1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a mixed class?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by e1049, Apr 4, 2020.

1. e1049

e1049 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I'm currently doing my PGCE year and have been in 2 KS2 placements before the schools closed. As it's unlikely that we will be getting a third placement I understand that I will be inexperienced in KS1 placements.

I have found a job in a 1 form entry school with a mixed year 4/5 class, however I would like some advice on applying. Am I too inexperienced having never worked in a mixed class? Are mixed classes a bad idea as a first job in an NQT position?

I know I shouldn't be picky and it's a great opportunity, just wondering if I am setting myself up to fail...

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Do not worry about the class you will be teaching. Instead find out about the school - do they have a reputation for supporting their staff? what processes do they have for supporting and mentoring NQTs?

3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I taught a mixed Year 4/5 class at a new school after 6 years of teaching - I found it really hard. The range and breadth of the pupils' abilities was huge, the emotional age varied wildly and the planning was extremely difficult. Parental expectations are very different in Year 4 and 5 too (not helped by the fact I am in an 11+ area). It was the only year 4/5 class in the school so I had to do all the planning/logistics by myself...
    In all honesty if you have a choice and there are other jobs going, for your NQT year choose a single year group ideally with more than one form entry.

thara9643 likes this.
  4. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

Exactly what @Abitofeverything says, @e1049. I did mixed form, one entry as a supply before I found an nqt job in a 2 form entry school. With little experience I think mixed/one form entry is hard.
    In a way, yes I think you should be picky to some extent. I’ve done my nqt and a year and another year or so, and I am being picky for the next job I get (currently supplying - although furloughed righty now) as I have had troubles in my last couple of schools.
    I was sort of inexperienced in KS1 ; but I actually finished my final nqt term in a Year 1 class (having come from Year 5 for a year) and was much more successful in it than I was in Year 5 where I resigned.
    But for NQT I would definitely recommend single Year group with 2 form or more entry

thara9643 likes this.