1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a job in a catholic school and not being catholic....

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by h_yates, May 22, 2019.

1. h_yates

h_yates New commenter

Seen a part time job ( which are like hens teeth ) in a school more local to home. I’m thinking of applying but it’s a catholic school and I am not catholic- am I wasting my time ? Thanks in advance x

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Apply. Many staff at a catholic school near us are non catholics. Unless you’re after the headteacher’s job, they have to be Catholic.

h_yates likes this.
  3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Generally on these roles, the only essential criterion related to religion will be something like "willingness to support the school's Catholic ethos". Otherwise, as @Sundaytrekker says, only the Head, Deputy and Head of RE roles are likely to be reserved for practising Catholics.

DexterDexter and h_yates like this.
  4. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I applied for 2 catholic independent schools as a non catholic and got offered jobs in both. They will ask you at the interview whether you are supportive of the catholic ethos of the school. As a science teacher in one school I got asked how science fits with the catholic faith........ I've also worked in a state catholic school with no problems. Although they are catholic a lot of schools now actually have a minority of catholic students and will make it very clear that they accept students of all faiths to the school. Go for it!

h_yates likes this.
  5. h_yates

h_yates New commenter

Thanks everyone x

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I've worked in a Quaker school, and it is really a matter of being happy to support the ethos. I suppose if you were violently anti-catholic there'd be an issue, but then you wouldn't be applying there in the first place.
    Go for it - and good luck.

7. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Yes don't worry unless you want an ass head, d head or just head position. It states on the catholic form that you would need to be a catholic to apply for a leadership role. Some heads would use it as an excuse not to employ you but if they really want or need you they'd have you regardless.