1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a job...cover letter or no cover letter? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Henriettaaa, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Henriettaaa

Henriettaaa New commenter

I am currently trying to apply for a new job in a new city as I am hoping to move in time for September. I am mainly looking on Eteach as not many jobs seem to be coming up on the TES in the area I am looking in. Only two of the schools so far have specifically requested cover letters...others have not. Is the expectation to write one anyway? I am really unsure as there is still space in some of these applications to either write your own page of 'additional information' or the questions in the application form are so grilling that they have basically got a cover letter out of you anyway.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Application forms should be an impersonal summary of information about the applicant. The personal bit comes where you explain that you are especially suited to working in Bog-Standard Primary because your unique talents match up with the ethos as listed on their website.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sorry should have said that the Cover letter is the only place for saying how you're especially suited.

Isobeleh likes this.