1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a job at a school I attended

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by altally, Apr 25, 2020.

1. altally

altally New commenter

Hi, I'm looking at applying for a job at a school I attended (over 25 years ago...) Is it worth mentioning as a positive, as I'm still somewhat familiar with the school, or would it be off-putting for those shortlisting?

Thanks,

Al

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's hardly a qualification for the job so I wouldn't put it in my formal application. Finding an opportunity to mention it informally when being shown round the school or something would make a nice taking point, a social lubricant. Just don't imply it would help you do the job better.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

25 years ago it was a very different place no doubt. It's unlikely anyone from that time is still there (but you never know: longest serving on our staff was a cook with an impressive memory for people).
    Agree it's a social talking point and neither an advantage nor a disadvantage