1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a Housemaster position

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by T_Byrne, Feb 24, 2016.

1. T_Byrne

T_Byrne New commenter

Hi all,

I am presently considering applying for a Housemaster position at a prestigious Boarding School; it is a religious boarding school and I practise that religion, which should - in theory - give me an advantage in any application.

I feel I am a reasonably strong applicant, as I have worked in two respected Independent schools, take an extremely active role in extra-curricular provision by coaching sport, running school trips and a variety of clubs. Moreover, I have some pastoral experience as a Form Tutor and through my informal interactions with pupils at school.

The problem is this: I lack experience of boarding school education and do not know whether I would be a credible candidate - in other words, a candidate with a good chance of reaching the interview stage. I don't want to unnerve my headteacher for an extreme long-shot, but do harbour pastoral ambitions and am extremely interested in becoming a Housemaster.

Any advice on my potential chances would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you posted this on the Independent Forum?

I ask because you are likely to get more informed replies there.

My own, uninformed, one is that it seems to me unlikely that an important, very important, role such as this would go straight to someone with no boarding experience at ANY school, yet alone a prestigious boarding school.

One would expect the route to be: pastoral role -> assistant housemaster -. housemaster.

This is a very very looooong shot in my view.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, and I am uninformed . . . . but just think about it. And what does the Person Specification say about experience required?

Best wishes