1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a HOD job as an NQT?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, May 11, 2011.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Not sure if this is a wind-up or not.

TLR for HOD is dependent on the school but if it's £2000 then it's per year.
    As a HOD you're responsible for the Teaching and Learning within the department - as an NQT you'll be able to bring you're vast experience to bear when discussing the teaching of colleagues and making recommendations as to whether they should get their annual increments, or go through the threshold or not. If you've been recommended go for it - what's the worst that could happen?

If I'm being honest I hope that the school recognises that to emply an NQT would be disasterous in terms of the T&L within the department but that's not your fault.
    Go for it - what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.... apparently.

2. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Perhaps I misread DEmsley but I think DJ_Princess49 is an NQT this year and therefore will be passed NQT status in September (meaning they have taught for one year already). In this instance, I think it's absolutely fine to apply for and a school to employ a HoD with 1 year teaching experience. You would have my backing in this instance.

What worries me more is your lack of knowledge / direction from your post. You must know what A-Level course is running in your school and a serious candidate would have already booked into seeing some A Level lessons and asking the teachers involved in the course on how they find it. If your school doesn't currently teach KS4 and A Level ICT, then you have carte blanche on what exam board and course to run, so I'd have been researching all of these and deciding which one suits my skill set as well as the students.
    Find these out from the Job Description. If you don't feel you understand/can do these, don't apply.

Head of Department is challenging, but definitely rewarding.

3. cj3

cj3

I would advise against it. You will be responsible for everything and that is a hell of a lot to take on after only one year of teaching. That said it depends on the type of school, your department and the kids. If you have amenable kids and good, strong supportive staff in your dept, it may be possible - but you will really have to lead by example in all areas - so unless you are really strong yourseIf, I wouldn't go for it just yet. If you havent taught A level before, there is quite a lot to learn there. I have just stopped being a HoD and I am enjoying the not having to worry about everything...

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

But that would be the issue I'd have with this webby. Princess would be expected to do lesson observations on any departmental staff, talking generally a just-passed NQT wouldn't have the experience to do this, let alone lead a dept on T&L issues.
    Princess, one other thing. If you do go for it, they are messing with you as far as TLR goes. Do a quick search of TES Jobs and you'll find the minimium TLR starts at about £4500. Just cause you're new and cheap, doesn't mean they should take advantage.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I think the problem is that we don't know you and don't know your skill set, enthusiasm etc.. Whilst I echo the sentiments above about being a bit too early, I must confess that I was up for a job interview for HoD about eight years ago and the only other candidate was an NQT. I pulled out of it as I didn't want the job, but the NQT was bloody good and really did know thier stuff, got the post and went on to do good things I heard. If the school seems to be pushing you towards the post, then maybe they believe in you, but one things for sure it will be mentally hard work for the first couple of years, you are likely to face resentment from staff members (even though they might not display it) and more importantly you have a responsibility to ensure the kids get a good grounding from day 1. If you believe in yourself and believe that you can work out the A level classes over the summer then I think you would be a fool not to take the chance as it might be a long time before you get another shot. However if you go in to this half hearted, let the kids down, let your staff down that you are to support and feel you might get stressd out with the whole escapade then don't touch it.You will want leave within months and that would be a worse scenario for you then where you currently are I would wager.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

In our responses we've all assumed the department exists in that this is not just a very small school with a single person "ICT department". A reasonable assumption given they teach A level [​IMG]