1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a headship with an internal candidate?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by helhan68, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I am attempting to secure my first headship and have already had two unsuccessful interviews (I was pipped at the post by an internal candidate at both)
    I have now seen a third job I would absolutley love...but again there is an internal candidate. Is the playing field ever level? And how do I make sure I make a real impact other than the obvious "fresh pair of eyes" approach?

Thank you
    Jan

2. I am attempting to secure my first headship and have already had two unsuccessful interviews (I was pipped at the post by an internal candidate at both)
    I have now seen a third job I would absolutley love...but again there is an internal candidate. Is the playing field ever level? And how do I make sure I make a real impact other than the obvious "fresh pair of eyes" approach?

Thank you
    Jan

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

As an NQT?! I think you might get a better response on a different forum. [​IMG] Good luck x

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Er...I think you may have posted this here by mistake, given it's the NQT forum!
    Nonetheless, to answer your question: both my headships (secondary) were gained in preference to internal candidates, both of whom were longstanding, much loved (by the governing bodies) deputies. In both cases, however, the fresh pair of eyes was most definitely what the GB wanted and my ability to bring examples and ideas from outside the school to the interview process won me the jobs. Never forget that factor: the internal candidate can only (in most cases) give examples which the GB already knows about.
    There does seem to me to be a greater tendency for GB panels in primary headship appointments to settle for the internal candidate - whether they're playing what they see as safe or appointing the person they like in some cases, I don't know; but all you can do is ensure that you make clear the benefit of external experience to any school.