1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a GTP aswell as PGCE??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Yesterday i rung my second choice uni after my first choice rejected me just to make sure they had recieved my pgce application. they lady said yes they had and then asked me if i had considered applying for a GTP. thinking bout it now was she droping me a huge hint that i may be more likely to get on to a gtp.
    I hadnt really looked in to a gtp so i dunno how to apply or also if i can apply to gtp aswell as a pgce does anyone know?? if this will increase my chances of at least gettin a place somewhere be it pgce or gtp might be worth thinking about. Any advice is welcome :)

2. natbar

natbar New commenter

Hi
    I have applied for both, I have a conditional offer for the PGCE and am awaiting the result of my GTP interview. Usually you have to apply through the GRTP for a GTP but this year it didn't work so you have to apply directly. Look up the providers in your area to see if they are still open to applications, many for secondary still are.
    Also you get a wage on the GTP so will ease the financial situation, definately worth looking into. But they are usually looking for people with LOTS of school experience, I hope this helps!
    Nat

3. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

ooo ok so i will have to apply directly to the uni? are there a limit to the number of unis i can apply to for a gtp?

4. Hello Cosmic Rainbow

I have applied for GTP this year and have applied in the past. I dont know if i have been successful yet but here are the basics.
    -Provided by universities and independent providers.
    - Its work based and you spend your year working in a school as an unqualified teacher.
    - Currently you are paid as an unqualified teacher.
    -Some providers ask for assignments alongside but you dont achieve a qualification, just QTS.
    -A GTP can limit your options for teaching abroad.
    - You must be able to show that you have substantial experience of working in education.
    - Your teaching time increases throughout the year until you are teaching around 80% of the lessons.
    I really like the idea of this route as I have been working in education already, i learn better through doing and i need an income whilst i train as i have a family. It depends where you live in terms of who you apply to, but info is on the tda website about your nearest providers. There are some still open for applications but not many. There isnt a central application point as yet .

Really sorry to hear that you didnt get in x All the best with the GTP!

5. Any chance you can expand on
    I have been trawling the forums for the answer to this.
    Thanks

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Unlike BEd or a PGCE, a GTP is not a qualification, it is the name given to a training scheme.

If you complete a PGCE or BEd, you will emerge with both a qualification (internationally recognised) and English Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

If you complete a GTP you will emerge with "only" the English QTS.

If you want to teach overseas, English QTS is of no interest whatsoever to other nations' qualified teacher schemes so a GTP "graduate" is effectively "unqualified".

7. inarnia

inarnia New commenter

The GTP is being replaced from 2013-14 with the school direct (salaried) scheme and unless the school that you apply to is ITT accredited they will be in partnership with a university and at the end of the scheme you will gain a PGCE as well as having had all the benefits of the (former) GTP such as increased time in school, being a member of staff, etc. You can find more information on the Teaching Agency website as well as (I think!) search for schools that are offering places.