1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for a Catholic School......HELP!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by marzie74, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Tbh threads like this make me slightly embarrassed to teach religious studies. The conflation between religious studies and religious instructions is confusing at best and damaging at worst.

Is it any wonder that RS has the reputation it does with large sections of the public?

I find it particularly frustrating that whole swathes of the job market are denied to capable, hard working, talented teachers because schools want to use public funding to turn an academic subject into Sunday school.

The sooner mandated Religious Studies is abolished and the subject has to stand on the strength of high quality teaching and interesting engaging lessons the better.

[edit]Hehe, forgot that I had a Dawkins avatar on here - adds a slightly militant aspect to the post that wasn't strictly intended[/edit]

2. I've always worked in Catholic schools and am a practising RC myself. You must be willing to support the ethos of the school and to talk about what that means to you. Just be aware that, if it comes down to two applicants with the same quals and experience, they'll always go for the Catholic applicant and rightly so.

3. What actually makes me cross is that the OP has only made 3 posts - one of which is this thread. They haven't bothered to come back and comment on any suggestions or thank anyone or let us know how they get on. It really turns me into a grumpy old woman.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I still do not understand what a "non-practising Christian" is. Isn't a Christian someone who believes certain things about Jesus Christ? And isn't a Christian a person who tries, however unsuccessfully, to follow the example of Jesus? So how can you be a "non-practising Christian"? How about a law-abiding kleptomaniac? Or a teetotal alcoholic? What about a chaste sex maniac? Or a non-contradictory oxymoron?

Maz86 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Most Christians believe certain things about Jesus: how many Calvinists believe RC doctrine?

6. the hippo

Yes, Smirk, it is true that Calvinists do not believe excactly the same things as Roman Catholics. You are absolutely correct about that one. However, they do have some beliefs in common.

7. the hippo

anygirl1985 says that she is a "practising Catholic". Does that mean that non-practising Catholics are still Catholics? So a vegetarian who eats meat would be a "non-practising vegetarian"? And someone who is drunk is a "non-practising teetotaller?" Would it not be simpler and more truthful to say that someone who cannot be bothered to even try to put their beliefs into practice cannot really be said to believe in them? Therefore there is no point in calling yourself a "practising Catholic." Either you are a Catholic or you are not.

8. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

A Christian is a follower of Christ which I suppose is self defining! Whether people like it or not, one of the defining features of RE in a Catholic school is that it seeks to promote the faith, educate children in the virtues and form them spiritually. The CES would say that the Church is primarily in school. And a Catholic school has to demonstrate that there are effective collective acts of worship happening to pass their section 48 inspections!

Anyway, my point is, it would be hard to be a non Catholic in a Catholic RE department for these reasons. I don't think that this is discriminatory - I wouldn't go and work in a Muslim, Jewish or secular school and then become furious about its ethos. I choose to work in a Catholic school because I belief that Catholic schools and Catholic RE are the best way to educate children, in the same way that I believe my children should eat their greens.

Militant secularism won't give rise to greater tolerance. Catholic schools promote religious literacy and compassionate for others that goes beyond putting up with people who have different beliefs. Catholic schools teach that all human beings are made imago dei which is surely more powerful.

9. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

Someone I worked with once insisted that they were a Christian because they believed in 'treating people decently.' And then became incensed when I gently suggested that a Christian might believe in God....

Maybe you can be sort of culturally Christian - know half the Our Father and the Golden Rule but not ever go to Church?

10. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I find the whole thread sad- I am certainly not a Christian but have a faith. However, would this exclude me from posts in some schools? If so, this cannot be correct can it?

11. the hippo

Well, having taught in several schools in the Middle East, I would not recommend teaching jobs in the Gulf to nudists or to alcoholics who like to eat their Porky Scratchings. toadman might find it hard to get a teaching job at an RC school, but he might also have difficulties when applying to Jewish or Muslim schools. Some faith-based schools are more tolerant and broad-minded than others. A non-RC friend of mine was recently the head of an RC school in the UK.