1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying before or after a visit?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jollypocket, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hello

This is probably a stupid question. I'm looking for an NQT post for September and I have a few school visits lined up. Is it usual to send in the application before or after the visit? I would have thought after, is this right?

Also, would it look unprofessional to hand an application directly to the school after a visit?

2. My personal opinion would be after the visit as you may visit and decide you don't like it and it may then be a waste of their time reading your application. In a recent application I visited and then dropped my application in in person the following day - meant I could put lots in my letter of application about what I found out on the visit. I do know of a few people who handed it in before the visit though but not sure if they were shortlisted, always made sense to me to hand it in after [​IMG]
    Good luck!!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, hpy has got it right there,
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Usually the rule of thumb is visit before hand as whether they say it or not the walk around is an informal 'suss you out' time. However I did make an exception to this - I was not able to attend a walk around until the day before the application closed. I therefore submitted my application form on the day before and then walked around and explained why I did it that way when I arrived. I got shortlisted from 31 applicants and came 2nd in the whole process - I was unlucky, but I think this is not normally the way to do it and I would always aim to look around first.
    Also - I would seriously say go with your gut - don't just go for anything for the sake of being employed. It's too easy to get frightened for financial reasons but seriously you will get a good or bad gut feeling and if you get any kind of niggles when you walk around then think really hard about whether you want to apply.
    Best of luck x