1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying and recruiting in this climate

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DrJay, Apr 7, 2020.

1. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

How are schools recruiting in these circumstances? Would you apply and seek to move school in this clime? How would kids, parents, colleagues and headteachers feel knowing that a teacher chooses to leave and move on in these trying times - 'a captain that jumped the ship'?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

People change jobs all the time. Nothing to see here, move along please!

3. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

From the experience of colleagues I know, applying for jobs, interviewing (via Skype), and recruiting is still very much active at the present time.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

We are very likely to have two vacancies for September to fill. I don't feel any animosity to those who are leaving - there are no restrictions on changing employment at this time.

Maybe current events mean staff are thinking more about improving their work-life balance and looking for jobs that help them focus on what is important in life.

5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

This is a pandemic. The whole world is effected, every school is the same, so how anyone could take the view that a teacher changing employer is leaving a sinking ship seems rather pointless.
    Changing jobs may be a lot harder, there may be fewer people moving, but the world still has to function. Vacancies still have to be filled.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

For most teachers, we are talking about moving at the end of September, by when we can hope that schools would be back to normal. Regarding the process, that is up to the employer to decide, not something for the candidate to worry about.

Personally, I might be a little reluctant to apply to a school in the private sector, given comments people have made about the financial position of some. If you give your notice in at a state school and then the private one goes bust, you might start September without a job. But perhaps I am over-cautious.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Skype... Welcome to the 21st Century, although we’ve been in it for over 20 years now!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would definitely be very cautious and look carefully at the school to judge the financial state.
    Mind you a great many immediately pulled adverts as soon as schools were directed to close, so presumably those still advertising are those who are rather more secure?

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Possibly, although somewhere that knows staff are leaving at the end of next term would still have to recruit in the hope that they can survive unless they can find a way of coping without doing so, which would be bad news for everybody else!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I've said this on other threads.

If applying to an Independent school, be wary of one which has put teachers on furlough.

Support staff, I can accept. But a school putting some of its teachers on furlough is a school that may not be financially sturdy.

Best wishes

11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Union chit chat (which may or may not be wholly accurate) has that a fair number of schools have put sports and music teachers on furlough as they cannot adequately deliver the curriculum remotely.

I think some schools, with astute business leaders, are seeing the furlough scheme as an opportunity to save money and are furloughing as and where possible. Why wouldn't they? If they top up the wages, they look like fantastic employers, but are only paying out 20% of the usual wage bill.

ajrowing likes this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great!

So they take money from taxpayers, because they are "astute".

Could also be called "lacking in moral fibre during a global crisis".

Personally, I wouldn't have done this when I was an Indy Head, but calculated other ways of balancing the books. The salary cash saved from half a dozen PE and Music teachers only being paid 20% wouldn't be worth it.

Keep safe everyone

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Heyyyyy I didn't say I agreed with it being the best policy.
    But if you are a businessman/woman and want to save a bit of money this next half term, then furloughing many admin staff, boarding staff, bus drivers, caterers, TAs and teachers who you feel cannot adequately teach their subject is a tempting way forward.

15. FrauleinGM

FrauleinGM New commenter

I work in an independent, not the like of Eton and Harrow but quite a well known place which normally charges huge fees, has impressive grounds and would generally be regarded as probably well off. After the HT reassurances to staff that we have nothing to worry about they then went on to furlough 90% of support staff and 30% teaching staff, without topping up salaries and with only 1 day notice. Since I've been furloughed I keep receiving emails requesting various bits of work and 'handover', resources for classes that my colleagues will be teaching next term etc. I said I'm not allowed to work for them while in furlough, this morning had 2 missed calls from HR though I don't know what that was about. Worried about repercussions because I said I won't work for them while on furlough, also worried about redundancies when government furlough ends... Feeling pretty nervous and powerless most of the time now.
    Be careful what kind of independent you're signing up for at the moment. I'm sure some are better /financially healthier /less likely to view this as an opportunity for savings than mine. I personally wouldn't feel bad about changing schools now if it is the right move for you.

agathamorse, TheoGriff and ajrowing like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

You did better than us...we had 7 hours notice. Email at 5pm telling us we were furloughed from midnight.
    Why are you reading and answering emails? I've been furloughed for nearly a fortnight now and have no idea at all how many emails I've had or not. Certainly wouldn't have engaged in discussion about anything they'd contain.

17. FrauleinGM

FrauleinGM New commenter

You're right. I felt bad because my colleagues weren't even told I wouldn't be reaching and then suddenly got my classes assigned to them remotely and have been emailing asking what's going on and what they're expected to do with them etc. But I can't really say anything beyond follow the scheme of work!
    How do you feel about filling in the exam forms with predicted grades etc. I left some information before Easter but they will no doubt be needing more assessment results etc for the year 11s and 13s. I know school shouldn't be asking me for work but feel bad for the students. How is this being handled in your school?

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I really think that you need to avoid doing any work, as this could, if discovered, mean that Furlough would not apply. If your school tells you to work, they are breaking the law, effectively claiming government money under false pretences. You might need union support, if you can get hold of them.

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Whilst still charging the parents the full amount or very nearly I don't doubt.

FrauleinGM likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As others have said, it might be best to delay applying to an Indie school until long after this lockdown is over, to see which of them survive. There is no point in going from the frying pan into the dustbin!

agathamorse likes this.