1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying again to a school that rejected you before??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jun 19, 2011.

1. So a few months ago, I had an interview for a KS2 post at this school and didn't get it. In my feedback, the Head said: "Your application was outstanding; your interview was... fine." [​IMG] I'm shy and I hate interviews and had tried to take on-board advice to be more talkative and outgoing but I took it too far and actually just came across as a giddy, garbling idiot. They now have a KS1 vacancy and I'd like to apply because I know the school is a place I'd like to work. But do you think it's worth my filling out the application? Many thanks xx

2. So a few months ago, I had an interview for a KS2 post at this school and didn't get it. In my feedback, the Head said: "Your application was outstanding; your interview was... fine." [​IMG] I'm shy and I hate interviews and had tried to take on-board advice to be more talkative and outgoing but I took it too far and actually just came across as a giddy, garbling idiot. They now have a KS1 vacancy and I'd like to apply because I know the school is a place I'd like to work. But do you think it's worth my filling out the application? Many thanks xx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes definitely. I worked in a school once where a prospective HT applied three times to be HT there and got it on the third attempt. If you can show you have done whatever they asked of you in feedback then definitely go for it.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Definitely worth applying again.
    In your Exec. Summary you can highlight all those positive aspects of your KS1experience.
    I apppied about 5 times to one school & actually got an interview on the fifth attempt. Didn't get the job though because they 'failed to appoint' .

5. Thanks, AGAIN, Minnie. [​IMG] Will do! xx

6. And Lara! xx

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Remember that you will be competing against different applicants. And most importantly - the person you were competing against last time, who got the job, will not be part of your competition this time!
    Best of luck.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. You should definitely apply Lilybett!
    I was successful last month in securing a permanent position to begin my NQT year in a school where I had previously interview but was unsuccessful.
    I think the fact that I had been previously unsuccessful worked to my advantage a little, as I made a point of saying to them that it took a lot of guts for me to come to interview again when I hadn't been appointed the first time, and I also said it showed how much I really believed it was the right school for me and how determined I was to work there etc etc.
    Also, my first interview was ****(!!!!!), so they could really see how much I'd improved my interview skills in the few months between both interviews, and I certainly felt more at ease due the fact it was the same room, same interviewers etc!
    Wishing you all the best of luck Lilybett, GO FOR IT!!! [​IMG] xx

9. Aw, you're lovely. Thanks for this really encouraging reply and I'm really pleased for you, about how it worked out. GO FOR IT, I SHALL! xx

10. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I really hope it works for you and you build on the feedback they gave you last time. At my first interview I didn't get the job and was told by the head if there had been 2 positions I would have gotten one. Another job came up in the school a few months later, I applied and never even got an interview!

11. my job i got last week, i applied for last year and interviewed for. They looked at what progression i've made in the year

12. That old chestnut "if we had 2 positions we would definitely appoint you"!! I was told that last year so when another position was advertised I applied again and talked about how much I had liked the school at previous interview, how I've been building on my experience since etc. Didn't hear a thing!