1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying Abroad after a Teaching Break in UK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MissLHE, Dec 12, 2018.

1. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has been in the position where they have applied for - and been offered - a job in n inernational school after having taken a break from teaching in the UK? And by 'break', I mean gone and worked in a different, non-teaching post?

I'm currently a few months out of teaching, working for a career service in schools, so feel that my role is still pretty relevant should I choose to go back to teaching in any capacity. However, I'm considering applying for a different role again (a HR type role with the NHS), which is totally unrelated to teaching (although I suppose it does involve delivering some training, which is a transferrable skill/experience.)

Any thoughts, comments or experiences greatly appreciated!

2. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I’ve been out of teaching for 12 years and have found it impossible to get back in.

I managed to get a job with a training provider teaching GCSE even though I am primary trained but getting a job in a school I have found impossible.

I’ve tried returning to teaching courses, I’ve tried everything.

I am now focussing abroad and have now applied for 56 jobs and got no interviews.

But I keep trying.......

Tactful_Teaching likes this.
  3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The general rule of thumb is that you can do pretty much anything for a year, after that it becomes very difficult, especially for good schools.

@norwichred - have you considered supply? I don't think schools internationally will look at you I'm afraid because you have been out of the classroom for too long - but if you can get a year of supply and then a year in the classroom, it might be possible?

4. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Supply agencies won’t touch me for the same reason. Lack of recent relevant experience.

I would certainly advise the OP not to stay out for too long, as you say.

I did have a nibble from. Very well regarded international school and although they didn’t short list me they nearly did and they were kind enough to give me lots of encouraging advice hence me keeping going.

But it has surprised me just how difficult it is to get back in to the profession once you’ve left and would hope the OP will consider the options carefully if they want to teach again in the future.

5. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Thanks both, some very useful insights here. I definitely know that I'm in no rush to go back to teaching in the UK, but I just always dreamed of living abroad for a few (several?!) years one day, and know that teaching is a key to that door.

My current job career is school based and involves teaching groups as well as 1:1 work with students, so think that it is a very good role for keeping options open for international school work in the future.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, I had retired after I left my last school in China. I am 59 and I definitely had no intention of going back to the classroom. Ho hum. Anyway, I saw an interesting job in Sofia and sent off an e-mail to the head. (Interestingly, he had written to me about seven years ago, when he was thinking of applying for a job in Bucharest!) Therefore, MissLHE, my advice is quite simple: "Go for it!" However, please do not do anything silly like applying for a teaching job in the UK.

What about China? It might be fun. Have you ever thought of Eastern Europe?

7. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Keep plugging away. Some schools in China, not the good ones, are employing non/under qualified 'teachers' - so you should be attractive as you are experienced and qualified. You just need to get two years back in a school and good references before upgrading. With such young children, it will be enriching for the whole family.

8. bead

bead New commenter

I had 20 years in industry then returned to teaching. It's difficult to get back because Heads, HODs etc think that everything has changed since you have been away. In Maths or Physics, nothing has changed and some Heads don't like this to be pointed out to them. Others laugh when you point out that Pythagoras, geometry and trigonometry are still taught so nothing has actually changed.

My advice: get some supply teaching under your belt and take it from there. I was a much better teacher 20 years later than I was as a raw 22 year old.

Also one day I was sitting in a meeting in a foreign country when we were asked by a main board director if we knew any way the company(which was one of the UK's biggest and oldest) could recruit science graduates with a view to employing them in sales and marketing. When I suggested teachers, he admitted it had never crossed his mind that here was a huge pool of people with the necessary skills and knowledge to put across the message to clients and convince them to use our products.
    I often think that managers never think beyond the job that they are in and have no idea what their own people within the company can do never mind people from outside.

hitherejen likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

snitzelvonkrumm's comments rather remind me of the old Marx brothers joke: "I would never join a club that would accept me as a member." DON'T simply accept a teaching job just because some school somewhere or other is offering you one!

10. cali13

cali13 New commenter

I had a 2 year break out of the classroom after an initial 6 year stretch, I did nannying and tutoring free lance. Turns out this was a good choice as it meant supply agencies took me on when I returned to teaching as I had still been an educator of sorts but without the stress and workload of school. I’ll be happy to go back to supply when I need a break again - teaching is very intense. Good luck!