1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying a couple of years after being unsuccessful...

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Emsbeth_89, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys!

I applied for the PGDE back in 2010 for the 2011/12 year but only got as far as interview at Dundee. Looking back I think perhaps it was a good thing as I have been able to travel adn I am now going to do camp america and I have grown more than I thought I would. Just looking for some advice from people who had to go through the process a couple of times before getting in.
    Not only do I now have my degree, but also my English higher, although I'm in two minds as to how much of a difference this will make to my success rate seeing as they gave me an interview without these having been completed so I must have sold myself on paper? I mistakenly never asked for feedback from my interview :(
    Sorry this is a bit jumbled I tend to write as I think lol. I am still volunteering in a school adn hoping to get into another so I know I will have plenty to write in my personal statement.
    What my question is did people apply to the same unis or to different ones?

Thanks,
    Emsbeth

2. looking at the threads it would appear that most people who were unsuccessful applied to the same places again! I was lucky to get in the first time I applied! It sounds as if you have got more experience which should assist at interview - I am sure that you would be better prepared this time - dont worry about not asking for feedback as you probably know yourself where you need to strengthen what you say - just relax be yourself and prepare as well as you can but they want to see the real you! Remember that you can apply for UWS as well as Dundee or wherever as they are separate entry forms!

3. Hi Emsbeth,

I was unsuccessful twice with Strathclyde and this year I was accepted- third time lucky :eek:)
    I'd advise you apply to the same uni- it shows you're determined and won't give up. I was disheartened but you have to keep trying. The place numbers aren't great and I knew I wasn't alone. Other people I know only got in second or third time. As you say- it gives you time to mature and gain more experience.

Good luck,
    Shelly

4. Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about applying to Dundee again and maybe UWS, but does a PGDE from UWS hold as much weight as one from Dundee? As it is a new university? Also now thinking about the catholic cert. but will think about that after easter when I will hopefully be working in a RC school, this will help me decide I hope.
    Emsbeth