1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apply for TA job when off sick as a teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Woaiduojiao, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Woaiduojiao

Woaiduojiao New commenter

I only started teaching at a new school in September; however, I could not cope with the children’s challenging behavior, rudeness and school’s poor support. My GP signed me ‘work related stresses ‘note for one month and she thinks looking for a new career will help me recover from the stress. I am not intending to return to that school teaching at all. After discuss with union rep I am thinking maybe a teaching assistant job is better suited to my personality and will enable me to remain in the education system.

Question: am I allowed to apply for a TA job when I am off work due to the work stress being a teacher at the current school? Any advice please!!!

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I wouldn't, I really wouldn't... unless it's with the school you're already at, and even then.... Your new employers will want references from your old school; you'd have to be signed off your sicknote as well enough to work, and even then you would have to work your notice.... resign by end of October to leave at Christmas.... so you'd have to stick it out until then, unless you're going to be off sick for the rest of term.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Does your school know this?

Your school may agree to early release from your contract, in which case you would be able to start searching for a new job.

However, you school may want you to keep working until your notice period is finished (31st December). If you cannot go back to work then you will have to be signed off sick again, and then you would not be able to start work in a different job. Applying would probably be ok, though... hopefully someone with better advice will be along soon.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Be careful. You are signed off as sick therefore should not be engaged in looking for other employment. A request like this has to go through the head teacher I think and should be made via your union. Otherwise it could be seen as misconduct.

Unless you can compromise on a release date you have no right to leave before 31st December.

On another note, are you sure that 1) you are not prepared to give it a bit of time 2) if not here then another school.

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I think personally you are throwing in the towel a bit too early. You got overwhelmed with the stress of a demanding job and the change, it had an impact on your health (and yes, teaching very much can do this) and your GP, who has probably seen many teachers through his/her doors does the standard thing and reaches for the sick note pad.

It is possible to have a complete change of heart. It happened to me once. I went off sick from my 2nd teaching job within 6 days of starting intending never to return to teaching. I ended up going back after October Half term intending to see out my notice and..........ended up enjoying it and was asked to stay, which I did and saw out the academic year before the school offered me a different job! (It was a temporary contract.)

Personally I would, in your position, go back and fight it. But, if you know you really can't (and my 4th teaching job was like this, I went into what is best described as a complete breakdown over New Year's ) then get out, fully out and never look back!