1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apply for jobs while facing redundancy?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by sunnyd11, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hi all, I know Theo is away but thought i'd ask the rest of you for your thoughts.

I currently teach in a medium size independent school, which I assume like a lot of others at the moment is faced with a fall in pupil numbers. Personally I think if there is a further reduction my dept. may be at risk of having to lose someone, and i'd rather jump before i'm pushed and not run the risk of not having a job at all for Sept next year.

I'm always keeping an eye out for jobs, but if I did end up applying for posts elsewhere this year, when i'm asked the typical question of "why did you apply for this post", would it be acceptable to explain the situation i.e. I may be at risk of redundancy at my present school (even if I haven't officially been told there WILL be redundancies). Would this put potential employees off as it'll be obvious i'm applying mainly because I don't want to risk not having a job, and would it be ok to mention this in application forms where they ask the same thing, or should I just wait until it's asked at interview, if I got to that stage?

Thanks.

2. Hi all, I know Theo is away but thought i'd ask the rest of you for your thoughts.

I currently teach in a medium size independent school, which I assume like a lot of others at the moment is faced with a fall in pupil numbers. Personally I think if there is a further reduction my dept. may be at risk of having to lose someone, and i'd rather jump before i'm pushed and not run the risk of not having a job at all for Sept next year.

I'm always keeping an eye out for jobs, but if I did end up applying for posts elsewhere this year, when i'm asked the typical question of "why did you apply for this post", would it be acceptable to explain the situation i.e. I may be at risk of redundancy at my present school (even if I haven't officially been told there WILL be redundancies). Would this put potential employees off as it'll be obvious i'm applying mainly because I don't want to risk not having a job, and would it be ok to mention this in application forms where they ask the same thing, or should I just wait until it's asked at interview, if I got to that stage?

Thanks.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

NO school employs someone because they are escaping from somewhere. They will employ you if you give them the reasons why you fit the person criteria so perfectly, and what you offer that the school needs.
    I would not tell the school anything about what is happening in your school in terms of pupil numbers. If the headmaster is on the ball he or she will figure it out anyway.
    Remember the school wants to know why you want to come and teach there and what you offer, not why you want to leave your current place. There is a difference.
    Good luck.

4. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry what I meant was, if I met the criteria of the job, would it put them off by mentioning this. If they asked about what i did at my current achool and all my achievements, they could ask "why do you actually want to leave?" but as you say it's probably better to give reasons why i'd want to leave and move to that school.

5. Just say that you're looking for a different challenge or sommat.

6. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

A few years ago I successfully applied for a job. In the interview I mentioned that fact that numbers were dropping at my present school, and that I was concerned about job security. This was accepted as a perfectly reasonable comment.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Karvol makes a very valid point here.
    Schools want teachers who want to go to them.
    Not teachers who want to get away from where they are.
    So choose your reason with care.
    And go to the Jobseekers Forum and read the clcikables inside the Welcome thread to help you write a good application.
    Best wishes